• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ATV snow plow users come on in.....

Moe Szyslak

Looking to purchase a newer Sportsman 800 with a plow. Just curious if anyone using an ATV for plowing driveways (personal) has run into issues with the constant Forward-Reverse gear changes? Will they hold up or will I be replacing parts every couple years?

I found out that for my arctic cat it is better to lower the idle rpm and it will shift better but the down side is it wont warm up as fast unless i am giveing it throttle to warm it up other than that I havn't had any problems with breaking parts.

I've plowed the last few years with an 04 Sportsman 400. Had no troubles with it. This last year I did a lot of shifting from F to R because it was more of a big parking area I plowed than a driveway. I'd like to think I put it to the test. Especially with the amount of snow we got.

This year we're living somewhere else with a longer driveway and I'll be plowing with an 07 Sportsman 500...so I'm looking forward to it!

I'm not sure if anyone else has had any issues.?.

i plow with a 500 scrambler..... NO LOW GEAR and never had an issue or ever broke or smoked a belt.

when plowing you will run out of traction well before you run out of power.

low range would be better but i get by with out it

if you've got it (low range) use it. The manufacturers will recommend that you use low range while traveling at slow speeds or if the machine will be under increased load. I doubt if anyone is doing 30 mph while plowing snow. grin

I plow my driveway with an 02 660 Grizzly and it works fine. I only use chains later in the year if there is a lot of built up ice, they really help. I use low gear, mostly to keep the rpm's up to keep the battery charged - cold weather starting, lights, and lots of winch use tend to drain the battery. I agree that most wheelers will have more power than traction.

You'll have enough power to bend plow mounts.

The continually lifting and dropping the blade will wear a questionably battery down. It'll also wear out the brushes on the winch. Brush replacement isn't to bad of a job though.

If your getting a smaller blade I'd opt for a manual lift.

I have a 2005 Arctic Cat 650 and plow a drive thats 1\4 mile long with no problems other than the battery issue as stated earlier when using the winch, lights and heated grips. Solved that problem by mounting one of my deep cycles on the back rack and charging it every once in awhile. If you're thinking of plowing a windshield is a must.

I plow our driveway (about 300 ft.), as well as a one mile section of gravel road with a Sportsman X2 500 and have had no problems at all. I haven't found a snow or slush that it hasn't been able to handle yet.

I always use low gear and replace the winch cable every other year. I got a rubber plow extender on the top of the plow, which really helps to throw the snow further into the ditch.

I have a 2003 400 Sportsman...plow about 70 yds of paved and about 2 yards at my neighbors. My reverse overide...the red button on the left handlebar...seems to have stopped working. I have looked at all wires and foudn no loose or severed wires.

Any advice.

PS...does have plenty of power..even without chains.