• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dishwasher not draining

nofishfisherman

I ran the dishwasher this afternoon and this evening found that it did not drain properly. There is still 3 inches of water in the bottom.

I felt around to make sure the drain is clean and it is from what I can feel.

Anyone have any ideas at how to fix the problem or have an idea of whats causing it?

So far I'll I've tried is cleaning the surface of the drain and then hitting the drain button again. That didn't get me anywhere except a wet hand.

I had this issue about a year ago and a tip I found worked for me. If I remember correctly...

There should be a water sensor somewhere on the bottom of the tub that looks like an upside-down 1/4 cup measuring cup without the handle. Debris can get these things to stick and tricks the DW into thinking that it has been drained and it won't turn the pump on to drain. Gently lifting that cap a few times released whatever was making it stick and it's worked fine ever since then.

Other possible issues I found were that the switch/dial could be bad or the pump could be bad.

I was fortunate...hope that works for you too. Good luck.

I had this happen to me, and the drain hose was kinked under the main kitchen sink where it ties into that drain-line. The weight of the hose, and the hot water making the rubber soft and plyable was causing it to sag and kink. I re-inforced this and haven't had any problems since.

Did you just put in a new disposal by chance and forget to take the plug out? If not, Unhook drain hose under sink and put in a bucket and turn on. That will tell you if d/w is pushing water that far or not. Lot of times it gets plugged there. If it's not, odds are something is restricting it where it comes out of the pump. If still not fixed, post what kind it is and we'll go from there.

When my older dishwasher gets a blocked/clogged drain, I unhook the hose attached to the garbage disposal and run the shop vac on it for a few minutes. It seems to unblock everything fairly well. You'll probably have to cup your hands over the end of the shop vac hose to get good suction.

I got it all fixed today.

There was a blockage (cherry pit) in the check valve that connects to the drain hose. I took that all off and cleaned the check valve and put everything back together.

Its running through a quick rinse cycle now to make sure its all working but I'm pretty confident that I got it all fixed.

Thanks for the help.