• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anything new for next years flashers?

harvey lee

LOL McGurk . I wouldn't even sell my old LX-3 without the upgrade for $200 let alone an LX-5 . Sorry I haven't got an answer to your problem with transducers unless your using a Vex bobber on yours instead of the Marcum arm . grin

Or maybe it is your bride giving the Marcum transducer a good smash with the hammer unbeknownst to you, to keep you at home . cry That's gotta be it . grin Are you guilty of taking it to bed with you on Valentines day or anniversary ? grin

TD

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your correct, to the best of my knowledge, Vexilar and Marcum use the same transducer supplier, as does 98% of the industry today... "Airmar Technology Corporation" is the Go-2 company for most ducers on the market.

The durability factor slips in to the equation when they range of recommended sustained wattage for that ducer is pushed to it's operational limits on a long term basis. Lessened life expectancy and premature failure due to stress is often the result when this occurs.

McGurk...there is a new generation of ducers out and far superior performance for open water and for ice fishing, a new generation from Airmar...it will take all that watts and then some with far greater performance and operational resiliency ....but be warned...your not going to like the price of it.

I can't believe I'd actually admit this but my next flasher is going to be a Vexilar. Feels good to get that off my chest. Sort of like attending an AA meeting and admitting your problems. Maybe we can now start a support group for former Marcum users. wink Might be the first time I've ever said that on this forum as my past dedication towards Marcum is pretty etched in stone in the archives.

I'm not sold on the H-Bird yet... I had issues with small panfish lures not showing up in 20-30' of water. I personally don't think the display shows up all that well in direct sunlight either.

The first step is always the toughest...... just 11 more to go Hanson.

crazy

I have heard alot about the LX5 to Humminbird 55 comparison here. Anyone have thoughts about Vexilar FL20 vs Humminbird Ice 55? Just sent my Vexilar FL8 down the road and looking to upgrade for the first time in while. I understand Vexy isn't doing any updates to the FL20 this year, but myself, father and two brothers have all owned FL8s. Not one of us has ever had a problem and my fathers if at least more then 15 yrs old. The reason I want to upgrade is I was fishing in 40 feet last year for crappies with the FL8 using a Diamond jig. Couldn't see the jig past 30 ft of water even with the gain up. Which unit will perform better to meet this need? Any thoughts? Fishing more and more deep water so I find this important.

hiwayman33 You might want to look at a duel beam transducer or a unit that has a 9 degree transducer so your power is more concentrated. I have a LX5 and I love having the duel beam so that when I am Lake Trout fishing in deep water I can see my lure at any depth without using all my power.

Quote:
The other is the fact you can't use them on open water....why they didn't design them from the start for 24/7 365 use...I don't know?

I wonder if it's because they conveniently happen to sell open water fish finders as well whistle

I bought the 55 last year and overall was pretty pleased with it, however I was told at the store that they would be offering an open water transducer which is what swayed me away from the Marcum. My only initial complaint was that the target separation left a little to be desired, especially in zoom mode but once I started thinking about it I believe that after being used to the display size of a vex and going to a bigger screen that I was still expecting to have the lines be the same distance apart as a vex. After I adjusted my thinking to be able to accept wider gaps between the bait and fish it seemed easier to use, hope that makes some sort of sense.

Your correct, to the best of my knowledge, Vexilar and Marcum use the same transducer supplier, as does 98% of the industry today... "Airmar Technology Corporation" is the Go-2 company for most ducers on the market.

The durability factor slips in to the equation when they range of recommended sustained wattage for that ducer is pushed to it's operational limits on a long term basis. Lessened life expectancy and premature failure due to stress is often the result when this occurs.

This Statement is actually false. Marcum manufactures their own Ice ducers specifically for use with their units. My source is a guy I go to church with and a long time marcum veteran Jon Marshall Please reveal yours.

In response to the second paragraph he added.

A transducer’s output is not Measured in watts, it’s measured in dB re 1uPa. A sonar’s transmitter output is measured in watts…this is a measurement of the energy that goes into the transducer. Remember watts in and dB re 1uPa out. MarCum’s transducers have been tested and certified at power levels exceeding 5000 watts peak to peak input.

It appears that marcum transducers are far from their operational limits? And none of the above quote is true.

The Slabnator

I would be very surprised if once you fallow the vendor train, Airmar is not the manufacture for the Marcums ducers. But I may be wrong, as I said..to the best of my knowlage... there are a few other players, in China and in Japan.

As for the second part, I was not pointing a finger at any one manufacturer or end user, it was intended to illustrate potential contributing factors that may lend themselves to lessen the life expectancy of a ducer. And I'm not personally convinced that peak to peak is a good measure of endurance over the long term.

So if I understand you correctly, your saying they manufacture there own ducers, here in the USA, in MN?