• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anything new for next years flashers?

harvey lee

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The flasher product is solid.

I'm a Marcum owner, and I would not agree that the product is "solid." As an LX3 user, I have had it in 3 separate times for transducer issues, and am having a red LED dropout on the display even today. Granted, all repair work was done under warranty, but it is still frustrating. But, it's what I have, and I can't afford to go and replace it just yet. If the LX5's are flawless; that's great, but it doesn't help me out. The LX5s aren't the only flashers they sell, though (LX3-TC, LX1).

Regardless, I'll continue to use it, and continue to give my father in law a few well placed jabs looking at the blobs he calls fish looking at the blob he calls a jig on his FL18. grin

Regardless, I'll continue to use it, and continue to give my father in law a few well placed jabs looking at the blobs he calls fish looking at the blob he calls a jig on his FL18. grin

I bet your father-in-law hasn't had is FL-18 sent into the shop 3-times! grin

No more Marcum? That's a shame. I have owned there products for quite a few years and love the cameras.

I would say that one saying there are no more MarCums is a stretch.

Another company could purchase the MarCum line at any time.

I bet your father-in-law hasn't had is FL-18 sent into the shop 3-times! grin

Point taken. And maybe a 4th time, too. From what I've heard and experiences, though, my money might be better spent on a new flasher instead of paying for a repair. Might be a 'bird if I can see one on the ice.

Regardless, I'll continue to use it, and continue to give my father in law a few well placed jabs looking at the blobs he calls fish looking at the blob he calls a jig on his FL18.

For older guys like me, with deteriorating eye sight, those "blobs" are actually a great feature grin. With my bad eyes, the granularity of the fineline display on the Lx5's gave me eye strain wink

There were some things I liked better about each. Seriously it is like jumping in a new Truck made by brand X with all the bells and whistles.

You say, "wow this is cool" and "geez I wish it had this or that"

Some things I liked about the 'bird:

-Large bright display. Very nice in the bright sun and or seeing from a distance or sharing with a buddy.

-6 color display. I can't say it helped me catch more fish, but it was cool to look at and easy on the eyes.

-Sits at a higher level which makes it easier to see, less chin tucking

LX-5

Like the compact design and soft case.

Unmatched crisp clarity and target separation.

Easy to use adjustable Zoom

Plain and simple, the LX-5 has helped me catch more and bigger fish and it's tough to argue with that.

Humminbird has a bit of an advantage in that it was able to take existing technology and throw in a few new features and have that new "cool factor".

Sorry to waffle on this one, but I honestly cannot pick a winner. frown

Sounds to me like the "bird" just gets honors for being pretty. The important features like separation, clarity and ease of use belonged to the LX-5.................

I like to switch to something different now and then to throw i something new. I really liked using the showdown but as i mentioned earlier, it's very hard to use next to other flashers and pick up my small jigs. I'm looking forward to seeing what the new software upgrades will help. If any?

I'm in the market for something different this winter as well.

Last winter I heard several reports that the zoom feature on the humminbird was more like a magnifying glass than a zoom... it didn't really improve the target separation, just made the blob bigger.

I haven't seen it for myself, and hope to as soon as retailer start getting them out there...

marine_man

Marine_man my only real fault I find with the new Hummer's falls right in line with your comment and concern.

If they would have doubled, or even better even tripled the "line segment count"

the much larger display would be far more detailed and would address your concerns in the zoom mode and in full view mode.

With a far greater line segment count in the display it would appear far smother and less jittery.

Although the official line segment count is 1 more than a Vexilar display, it is the ratio of the segment count in relation to the size of the display where the complications arise. It effects presentation, Target ID, reaction time of sonar target readings, and the overall user friendly view-ability.

The other is the fact you can't use them on open water....why they didn't design them from the start for 24/7 365 use...I don't know?

I don't know what anybody is doing going through 3 or more transducers on the Marcums . I had one go on me after a years use on an LX-3 and that was the first year they came out and none on my LX-5 which I too have had since day one .

You must be using the transducer as a battering ram to get through the ice in order for it to go through numerous ones .

Vex had some issues with transducers too and I believe the transducers they use are the same ones made by the same company that Marcum uses as a supplier .

I have no complaints about Marcum . I had my share of blobby vex before that and am in no hurry to return .

TD

You must be using the transducer as a battering ram to get through the ice in order for it to go through numerous ones.

You'd think that, but no. Crusted holes always got a boot heel through them first. Transducer was always carried with the other hand between holes, not dragging along behind. It was always coiled up nicely and put away for storage between trips. The battery was always disconnected between charges and uses. I was good to my Marcum! grin I was as suprised as you every time issues would come up, but from reading here, there were a lot of people having problems with them, yourself included.

If someone is willing to sell me an LX5 for $200 to alleviate my problems I will gladly get cash today. Sadly, that will never be the case. frown

I can't believe I'd actually admit this but my next flasher is going to be a Vexilar. Feels good to get that off my chest. Sort of like attending an AA meeting and admitting your problems. Maybe we can now start a support group for former Marcum users. wink Might be the first time I've ever said that on this forum as my past dedication towards Marcum is pretty etched in stone in the archives.

I'm not sold on the H-Bird yet... I had issues with small panfish lures not showing up in 20-30' of water. I personally don't think the display shows up all that well in direct sunlight either.

Sounds to me like the "bird" just gets honors for being pretty. The important features like separation, clarity and ease of use belonged to the LX-5.......

I have an HB 55 and have used the LX5, and the HB wins in ease of use, hands down. The separation issue is debatable, but I can tell when I no longer have a waxie on a teardrop. That is plenty sharp for me. Plus the LX5 display gives me headaches. The bigger display, plus the six colors showing more accurately signal strength is better on my eyes!!! Plus the auto depth is great for hole hopping. So yeah the display is pretty, but don't be fooled, its got plenty of performance behind it.

I wish they had made it for year round use also, but I am sure they'll figure that out soon. I would bet that most people who own flashers use different sonar in their boat the majority of the time.

I think people are splitting hairs and over analyzing this. They are all good, with slightly different characteristics. Choose the one that best suits you.

I think people are splitting hairs and over analyzing this. They are all good, with slightly different characteristics. Choose the one that best suits you.

The flasher wars always come down to this, and I couldn't agree more. Again, I was super happy with both the 55 and LX-5, I haven't used a Vex enough to say good or bad.

I figured the LX-5 has been so good to me the last 2 years, why switch to Humm or Vex?

Bought an LX-5, been happy with it and that is what it comes down to for me. smile Changed the way I fish and has put more fish up the hole for me than any other unit I have owned in the past.

That can be said with most units I figure, but I figure why start looking to find the same thing pretty much?