• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Who has dish network and what is your signal strenth??

S.D. Ice Angular

Question

I have started having trouble with my TV (Dish) cutting out only to get the dreaded "Searching for Satellite Signal" window. mad

I have signal strength of 59 on the new scale. What is yours?

If you don’t know how to check:

Press [MENU] Button, Press [6 System Setup], Press [1 Installation], Press [1 Installation],

Then Press [1 Point Dish/Signal].

Listen for that annoying sound mad for a few seconds and see what it says on the bottom right side.

Thanks!!!

I am not interested in debating which Dish Company or satellite vs. Cable vs. Antenna Discussions (Another Day & Another Time).

14 answers to this question

Happy Birthday!

Which satellite are you looking at? 129? 119? 110?

Do you have any trees that have now grown into the site line of the dish? Maybe all the crazy wind we've had this summer has moved it a touch out of alignment?

From the sound of things it must happen most of the time and if the dish is not being obstructed by trees it must be out of alignment or the LNB is going bad. If you have the large oval style the wind could have moved it. You could always check the signal strength and have someone gently push the dish and hold it to see if it gets better or worse-up,down,left,right but they will have to hold it for a couple of seconds before it will register on the TV. If it only happens on certain stations it could very well be the LNB.

Thanks LMITOUT,

I am looking at 110 & 119.

Trees,

Yes, there are some trees going that direction but it seems to be at its worst when it is just calm. I have the round dish with two LNB's in the same housing. jimalm, I am glad you mentioned that because I know I kept the LNB head from my previous residents. I may have to change them out and see what the difference is.

JUST FYI: The dish was professionally installed 4.5 years ago and relocated to its current position 3.5 years ago due to what I thought at the time was tree interference. Now the same dang scenario.

Any input is appreciated

The one other variable is the cable that is in your house. When he did the install did he run all new cable or just connect on to existing cable that was there for cable TV. Cable TVcan get by with RG59 but if the run is too long you will have problems. It should be RG6 from the LNB to the receiver.

It could also be the 21SW if you have two seperate LNBs. Go into the System Info screen(Menu-6-1-3) and wait until it gets to 100% and see if it says Check Details for LNB. You could have LNB drift. If you say that it is worse when it is calm, wait until it is windy and check your signal strength. If the numbers are bouncing around, then it is either tree interference or loose lag bolts on the mast that is actually moving the dish out of alignment. 59 on 110 really isn't bad at all. Depending of the transponder in which you are pulling that signal from, Dish Network's standard threshold from 110 is right around 60. If could also be connections, low frequency barrels, corrosion on the outside connections, bad cabling. The list goes on and on. Your best bet is to call them up and tell them to send a tech and tell them that you don't want to pay a for the service call. They will waive the fee for you. They really don't want to lose customers since they lost 1.4 million last year.

Ranger, I could swing over sometime and repoint your dish for you. I close on my new house in Albany on Friday.

The highest levels you will see on the modified signal strength screen is about 72 for 110, 80 for 119 and 63 for 129 depending of the dish that you have set up. The HD dishes (1000.2 and 1000.4) will have lower signal strengths than a Dish500 due to three satellites coming onto one dish.

boilerguy there is something wrong if you lose your signal that easily. It has to be one of those real heavy rains before mine will lose the signal. If you call them up and tell them that you are going to switch to the other brand because of the problem I would bet they will come out for free. I called up and said that I had to cancel because it cost too much and they dropped $20.00 off the bill for a year.

Jim almost everyone in the small town I live in has the same problem.

I've called em up numerous times to have it looked at and no dice. I've said I'm gonna switch and the gal on the other end of the line said, "Go ahead."

I'm cool with it though, less time in front of the tube and more time on a bar stool. grin

After looking at numerous accounts on a daily basis, they are pretty much bending over backwards and giving away service calls left and right. As I said earlier, they lost way too many customers last year to repeat the same this year. There are a few horrible customer service representatives that I always have to apologize for. It all depends on who you talk to. It sounds like it may have been the same person doing most of the installs in your town. I have always told my customers, trainees, and employees that, "Your satellite system is only as good as the technician who installed it". There are a lot of techicians out there who use out of date equipment to install a system. Dish Network is on the verge of mandating all technicians to use state of the art electronics when pointing a dish. I have been using this equipment for the last 8 months and can tell you that optimizing signal levels is much easier and more efficient than the convential analog meters a lot of technicians are using. Very rarely do I ever have a customer who loses signal in anything but very very heavy rain or white out snowy conditions. Bottom line, call them up and demand to have someone sent out without charge or threaten that you have options for service providers.