• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

GPS module not responding......now what??????????????

bmc

Question

I've got a Lowrance LMS-480 graph/gps unit. It had been working fine, then a couple weeks ago for no reason I can think of the dreaded "GPS module not responding" came on.

I disconnected the plug in close to the GPS receiver and all 3 plug ins off the back of the unit. I sprayed them w/ dust remover and it worked for about a half a day and back to not working.

I sprayed some electrical cleaner on the connections yesterday and it's still not working.

Any suggestions??? The GPS cable from the receiver to the unit is only 1.5 years old so it shouldn't be that.

Could I be missing an update for the unit?

Thanks,

Brian

http://primus.lowrance.com/icr/TroubleShooting/New%20Utility/NU_GPS_ModNR.htm

check out this HSOforum. I just recently had the same exact problem and was able to fix it. Turned out to be a bad grounding connection on my network cable that feeds the gps power. If you follow the directions that the link i gave you provides you should be able to located the problem and correct it.

Good Luck

CatchPhotofillet-

Thanks!! I checked out that link and it looks really helpful

I am going to study it some more and try some of the suggestions. i still think for my issue - its the wiring that is going to be hard to get to. I did try to open up the GPS round antennae thing and I coudnt get it to budge! I horked on it pretty hard trying to turn it - but didnt want to turn very much harder fo rfear of breaking it - it wouldnt budge!

If you follow those instructions you shouldnt really have to take apart the gps puck in any fashion. The directions give different possible voltage readings that would imply a different problem. Like i mentioned before get a volt meter, follow the directions in that link and your issue should be solved. I doubt it is the gps puck itself. Ive researched this issue quite in-depth and more than not its the power issue. I would start at the cord that connects to the gps. If your not getting voltage there your gps will not work. Just trace the voltage back to the source. I was to the point of beyond frustration and I decided to try it one last time and got it to work. so dont give up it is worth fixing!

Have you taken a volt meter to the power plug to see if you are getting power to the unit? That would be the very first thing to do. If not, then trace back to the power source. It those connections look good, you have a break in the wire some place. If it ain't got power, it ain't gonna work. Listen to PerchJerker. He knows of what he speaks.

JB

If you follow those instructions you shouldnt really have to take apart the gps puck in any fashion.

If finding the cable under the dash is difficult as was mentioned, it's probably easier to unscrew the puck and check the voltage at the plug on the extension cable where the puck is located. Not to mention if everything is tucked up under the dash getting a voltage reading might not be real easy.

Pucks can go bad out of the blue so that's not entirely out of the question either.

This may sound odd, but do you set your cell phone next to the unit?? I had similar problems that went on for a very long time until I finally figured it out somehow. If my cell phone rests within a foot or so of my Lowarance unit the GPS module will shut down and the only way to reset it is to disconnect the unit from the power for a minute and then restart. Simply turning off and on the unit will not reset it, you must un-plug the power cable from the back. This drove me nuts because it was very intermittent, of course now I know why because my phone was only placed on the dash next to the unit occasionally. Apperantly the radio signal from the phone would interfere with the GPS antenna.