• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stick em With a Fork!!

zepman

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carl Pavano 33 years old All Star 2004

CAREER 76 wins 75 losses 4.42 ERA

Jake Peavy 28 years old All Star 2005 2007 Cy Young 2007 1st in Strike outs 2005 2007 1st in Wins 2007 1st in ERA 2004 2007

CAREER 92 wins 68 losses 3.29 ERA

WHICH WOULD YOU SAY IS BETTER? I guess you could call Peavy a "grunt"!

Orlando Cabrera 34 years old Gold Glove 2001 2007

CAREER Games 1685 AB 6429 Runs 849 Hits 1764 HR 110 RBI KO 609 Stolen Bases 195 Avg. 274 Slugging .398 On Base .322

Alex Rios 28 years old All Star 2007

CAREER Games 811 AB 3081 Runs 451 Hits 877 HR 81 RBI 396 KO 571 Stolen Bases 112 Avg .285 Slugging .451 On Base .335

Seems to me we got the better end of both those deals, younger players with more awards and accomplishments, but you did get older cheaper players. I will put my "grunts" up against your "blue plate specials" any day and twice on Sunday! Like I said, it ain't my money they are spending!

On December 12, 2007, Peavy signed a 4 year extension, worth $52 million with the Padres. At the time the contract was the largest in Padres history. The contract includes a $22 million option for 2013. Peavy was 6-6 with 3.96 ERA before his injury.... not too stellar.

Alex Rios has agreed to a six-year contract extension with the Blue Jays through 2014 for $64 million. It also has an option for 2015 that would make the deal $77.5 million. The 28-year-old signed a seven-year contract with the Blue Jays in April 2008 that guarantees him $69,835,000. He is due $5.9 million in 2009, $9.7 million in 2010, $12 million each in 2011 and 2012 and $12.5 million apiece in 2013 and 2014...Pretty hefty for a career .280 hitter.

SPEND ON FOR MEDIOCRITY CHICAGO!!! Why not do it on a budget like the Twins!!

Fishy,

Nice to see a realist among the Twinkie eaters! LOL

Leech,

If what the Twinks did worked then I could see it but the only thing I see is a very sound fundamental team that is almost always in the race but never gets over the final hump. We did it in 05 so we have that to look back on and with the spending issue why do you think the Yankees and Red Sox are the most watched teams. Big players, big money. Again, if it were my money Kenny Williams was spending then I would have to think about it but I can't see why you take pride in watching Carl Pohlad rake in millions and put out crumbs for you Twink fans. There is no pride in a budget minded team, does not work for the Pirates, should not work for the Twinks but you seem to enjoy that. With all your poor pitching this year, what place do you think you would be in if you had YO Han back? My guess would be first, dude!

As for the Bears, we have all the Cutler-y we need! LOL

Good points Windy, but I still can't believe how mediocre the White Sox are with that kind of payroll. It shouldn't be anything to be "proud" of.

With our payroll, we still are in contention every year, like you said. But we can't expect to do it every year, it only comes together every 10 years or so it seems. That's the reality of being a "small market" team.

You are right Sled, we should gain a pretty good idea of how a star starting quarterback is going to perform in 16 real season games and the playoffs from a few meaningless quarters in the first preseason game of the year. You are right! Do you think that they might give us Kyle Orton back if we ship Cuttler back? And Sled, what ratio of minutes in the playoffs did the Sox have vs the Twinks last year. Where did the Twinks play in their first round of the playoffs, Hazeltine, Torrey Pines????

Sled, your wisdom baffles me sometimes!

Leech,

I am not proud of the Sox overspending, I just don't care that they do since it is not my money. It does baffle me how Twins fans continue to support Pohlad in his cheapness and seem to take pride in it when a few extra dollars spent here and there could obviously put them over the top in a very competitive division that is very win able by the team looking for that right move. Tigers seem to step up and it is obvious the Sox step up but it seems the Twinks just won't pull that last trigger sometimes. I know they are a small market team but with the revenue sharing and the tv deals they are pretty close to most other teams when the paydays come, they just go cheap on getting the pieces of the puzzle needed to put them over the top.

Leech,

I don't know but I am guessing you draw about the same number of fans as we do. I know tix prices are about the same. I can't help where I live anymore than you can but give me a break. Your ownership, NOT JUST CARL, may he RIP, are a bunch of penny pinching cheapskates who continue to put one by you clueless fans. You should be outraged, not take pride, in the fact that you put such a good team out there year after year only to fall short because your ownership won't do what is necessary to win. Again, ITS NOT YOUR MONEY, NOR IS IT MINE unless you own stock in the Twinks.

Rundrave,

Thanks for making my point for me! Kenny is pi$$ed off and won't stand for a mediocre team and he is WILLING to spend the extra dollars it takes. The Twinks would be a powerful team if they had ownership like the Sox do and a GM like Kenny Williams who is not afraid to pull the trigger. Instead you have a bunch of penny pinching skin flints who won't spend the extra money that it takes to put their team over the top and who let the taxpayers build them a new stadium that might have the largest number of games called due to Snow Outs in the history of baseball. If you build it....they will come! Don't bother filling the payroll up with the necessary tools to put team over the top, just keep pinching those pennies. Don't worry about the fans, they take some sort of weird pride in coming close with half the tools, not succeeding but coming close! Here's to another 2nd or 3rd place Twinkie team in 09!

If the Twinks have better attendance than the Sox then they should be able to afford the pieces of the puzzle necessary to win the division. YOU JUST KEEP MAKING MY POINT! This is TOO EASY! You should be shouting at the top of your lungs for the Twinks management team to grow a pair and step up to the plate, instead you still relish in how well the Twinks can do with half the resources of other teams. How much has your personal bank account been affected by the Twinks better attendance this year over the Sox? Mine has not changed a lick!

Well I must admit, this is an entertaining thread that has centered around 2 teams that are going NOWHERE! If the forks are already in the mail for Twins fans, then I would expect the SouthSide to receive their UPS tracking numbers soon.

Assuming Chi-town somehow passes the Tigers, they have little chance to beat Texas, Boston, New York, or Anaheim. I am continually amazed at Windy's optimism from Comiskey. The expansive view accross the Dan Ryan Expressway can be so bleak.

Mj? Are you a closet Sox fan?? smile !!!

We have plenty of passion and respect for the way the Twins play the game, heck, even Guillen knows we play it the right way. I still can't believe with all of that money they spend, they are a .500 team with one Ring over the last 10,000 years.