• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How far apart are your baits?

When most of you guys set up your baits for bear I understand that keeping them a mile apart is about the going distance, but how many guys set up in completely different areas to avoid the crowds?

Where I hunt now I camp in the woods and we drive an ATV from there to our bait sights but I am wondering how successful guys are that are even more mobile. Maybe staying in a campground or such and going out to several different blocks of timber to really seperate the baits and pressure.

A mile sounds like it is far enough, but my experience shows that it really isn't. The same bears seem to show up at all the bait sites in the area. Now we have about 8 bait stations spread out over about 40 miles. We try not to put more than one or two stations on each piece of property. We hunt public land and can only access it by foot. This makes it a heck of a job, but if you want to get away from the crowds, it is very important to go deep into the woods. There is nothing worse than hunting the same bear as another person in your party or even worse another hunter that you don't know. Try to spread out as much as possible and you will notice different bears hitting your bait.

I agree with nik...One year we had a couple of baits that were 1.5 miles apart according to our gps...we were getting hit at both but when we hunted either one we never saw the bear...the timers indicated that the closest times were about 3 hours apart...So, we each set up on a bait one nite...my buddy shot a bear...I saw nothing...we kept checking both baits along with the others but neither one was ever hit again...We now set our baits a minimum of 3.5 miles apart by gps and try to avoid setting up anything within that distance from any other hunter if we notice....there's nothing worse than working your butt off for two to four weeks only to have someone else take out a bear you were hoping to hunt....