• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

underwater cameras?

broken_line

Do you have a good flasher or a H20?

If not I would invest in both of those before I went out and got an under water camera. In my opinion a good flasher and gps is key. I look at the under water camera as being more of a luxury item..

had a camera last year and no vexlar crappies came in early and late day in about 40' of water camera was useless unless they swam right in front of it, borrowed a vexlar was able to see where they were suspended and set lures then started to catch them, camera is for clear water 25' and shallower to be effective

I bought one of the original Aqua-views when they

first came out, for $300. It was fun while it lasted,

and I learned some things about many lake bottoms

which I wouldn't have otherwise known. However,

I only used it at MOST 20 times, after which the

camera part got water in it and fried. SO, for $300

and 20 times use it cost me $15 per time. If sonars

only lasted that long nobody would buy one.

As far as I know, most are still only warranted for

90 days - not even a whole summer. Maybe if some

mfr gets a one-year warranty I will reconsider. TIll

then, I don't think its worth it.

well the lakes i fish have a clearity of 3 feetish.. but ill usualy just sit in my shack and watch a movie so a glance at the camera just to see whats down there would be nice.. i think ill ask for a marcum or the cabelas version of the marcum for my B Day.. i think it would be great for looking at brush piles and seeing how the fish react..

I fish some very clear water. With a camera you can see amazing things down there. Its true they only have niche uses for actual fishing. But to learn what is down there as far as fish, weeds, rocks etc, they are quite valuable if you have the water clarity. With 3' visibility, I wouldnt bother. When you see a school of 50 bass swim by, thats pretty cool. Or a cloud of blugills. 3 walleyes is a school, mostly just solitary fish that species.

A buddy of mine bought an aquaview last year, we have only found one lake where it was clear enough to see beyond 2 feet. Unless you're on lakes that are crystal clear don't waste you're money invest in a good flasher instead. But if your looking for a barely used one.... whistle

I have both a flasher and a camera; and the flasher is used to find the fish while the camera is used to amuse the wife or newbs and occasionally catch a fish with.

A flasher will work an any lake at anytime of day. A camera will work on some lakes at some times. The onboard camera lights are, in my opinion, a non-working gimmick to sell people on 24 hour a day use. When the conditions are right so that a camera does work, it is fun and can be informational and a good learning tool.