• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fox and wolf cubs.**add more fox pics 8-13**

I got a tip about a fox den so I scoped it out. I didn't see any kits but momma was keeping a watch over the area and I am happy with the couple shots I got of her. I'll have to go back another day to get some more and hopefully the kits will come out.

3812937683_13c3f99f43_o.jpg

3813767682_93d62a0b98_o.jpg

3812937691_7a87bdf365_o.jpg

Earlier in the day I ran into 3 young wolves out and about on there own. The first one was by itself on a logging trail. I think it was trailing its siblings trying to catch up to them. Its nose was to the ground and was heading in their direction. The other two I spotted off a bridge a little ways down the road. I have seen quite a few wild wolves but these are the youngest ones I have encountered so far. I didn't see any parents around so the must be big enough to do some exploring on their own.

3812937695_b406aa0b93_o.jpg

This one is heavily cropped. It was neat to see them greeting each other and playing on the tracks.

3812937693_0b36a79bcb_o.jpg

That first fox shot is fantastic. The eye contact really makes the shot.

You have come across some great shot of wolves and fox…..must have found some of those liver snacks that Ken and Steve use. wink

Congrats, Great work.

Uhmm, dude, number two is amazing! Perfect side profile, I love that the fox is not looking at you, excellent bits of habitat, just awesome sir! This might sound nutty, but could this be the wolf family that lives out by the railroad tracks on Hwy 73 running south out of Hibbing? I used to live out there and listen to them often,and that last image just really struck that memory chord. If not the location, did you know they were out there?

Shawn these wolves live over in the Brimson area. I do know about the wolf pack south of Hibbing, but rarely head down that way anymore. I have seen them cross the highway a few times though taking the scenic route to Duluth.

Jason, more beautiful images, as we've all come to expect. Love the look-up on the first one.

I'd be very surprised if you find kits/adults hanging around much at a den this time of year. They're usually long gone by July. May/early June is the best time to find kits roaming the den site and adults coming to and fro.

Likely what you have here is a juvenile that's shed its kit coat and is dogging the den site because it's familiar. We see lots of road-killed kits in August with adult pelage.

This is not in any way to take away from your images. You continue to demonstrate an instinctive ability to listen, to gauge, to allow intuition, to wait. A camera in the hands of a true woodsman is more than just a Canon.

I thought it was odd that there would be kits this late in the year. There used to be a pair that denned across the road from our cabin. The kits would be there till the end of June at the latest. I was told there were three kits there but maybe they were referring to earlier in the year and I misunderstood them. After spending more time there it appears that there is only one fox present. Other dens I have seen always had the pair of parents present and they were coming and going at all day long. This hole is probably being used by this fox as a hiding/resting place during the day since it only emerges before dark. I plan to keep visiting the spot as long as the fox is around since its a pretty willing subject.

I just realized I have pictures of two different fox posted here. Looking at the muzzle on the first fox is mostly black and the second fox has a mostly white muzzle. I guess I need to pay better attention to the details... grin