• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Legal??

Ace

Saw a guy fishing from shore on the Croix, chatted with him for a minute. I notice he has a length of about 1/8" rope running into the river near him, I ask him if he has something on the stringer. He explained to me it was his 'chumbag'. Apparently he tied up a piece of burlap with all sorts of stinky bait in it and tosses it out while fishing. Wasn't sure if this was legal or not, anyone know out there? Wasn't sure if I should have called the tipline or not...

He was also using beef liver as bait, anyone use this regularly or have success with it?

Thanks,

--Ace

I like Doug as much as any other writer out there but if I have to put a cowpie in a burlap sack to catch a fish, you can count me out. Ain't gonna do it. Gotta be a better, if not marginally equal way to skin the cat. wink

I've heard stories of [PoorWordUsage] wipes stuck to anchors..... Not sure I would qualify this as Chumming though. shocked

Sure as heck didn't work that night. wink At least they weren't keying on the remains of the Indy Bacon Double from BK.

Quite a few years ago I was into chumming and had all kinds of different concoctions that I mixed up in a blender and then froze. I remember one batch of chum was 1 cup of fatheads, 1 cup of beef blood (I bought a gallon of beef blood from a local butcher just for chumming), 1 can of cat food, 1 cup of oatmeal in water and then run it through the blender until creamy. I would freeze the chum into 32 oz ice chunks and put them in a chum box I bought off the internet. I would hang it off the front of the boat and you could see the chum slick on the sonar as it drifted by the back of the boat.

When my wife saw what I was doing with the blender she told me that was now my blender and don't ever bring it into the house. She refused to let me use it to make anything for human consumption.

Somebody questioned my chumming tactic so I sent an e-mail to the MN DNR asking if chumming was legal. I got a reply back very quickly from the MN DNR that chumming of any kind is illegal in Minnesota. That shouldn't surprise any of us. So now my chumming blender sits under my workbench collecting dust.

To be honest with you, I chummed off and on for most of one season before I found out it was illegal. I don't think the chumming helped at all - I didn't have any better luck on the nights I chummed. In my opinion, it was more work than it was worth.