• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Moving to the cabin...is it the same??

stick

how could not living in the cities not be an everyday vacation!

i lived there for 7 years doing construction. being on everyone elses schedule gets old fast. never knew how good i had it being from a country town of less than 500!

is it the same? No and you will be glad that it isn’t. We moved to the Brainerd lakes area in 1980 and haven’t looked back, only forward. We plan on moving to our cabin north of Deer River when the Brainerd area property sells. Good advice has been posted, like joining a sportsman club or a classic car club if that’s an interest. You said you won’t count on the local economy for work and can work from your new home. That’s great because you will be adding to the local economy by being a resident. There a sign in my cabin that reads “Enjoy Yourself! Its Later Than You Think”.

Welcome upnorthvoice smile And thanks for your "voice". I am almost there wink but not quite. I might steal your sign text and make one of my own for our cabin, thanks for sharing it!

I keep checking on this thread, cause there is good info from many sides of the coin. I hope people keep offering more thoughts, as it is big decision and it is good to get lots of experiences from those who "done it", for better or worse.

Your daughter is going to make new friends. In return you'll have some sort of relationship with the parents.

If she plays, soccer, softball, hockey, into dance class and whatever else, you won't be a stranger unless that is what you want.

Does your lake have a Lake Association?

It does have a lake association which is a good thought. One other benefit is that I am originally from the area (Hibbing). It is almost a home already for us by knowing many people in town. In many cases, having friends come to the cabin is when we do most of our get togethers. Life is just too busy in the Twidies to make it a priority to get together.

Let's keep the thread going. This is some good stuff!

The ONLY apprehension I would have in advising you to make the move would be employment. Been up here permanent since '01. There is nothing like it. The Grand Rapids school district is quite good and there are plenty of things going on in this town to get involved in.