• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Roses are red...

I set this up on a black coffee table at my house just to play around with two flashes. First was 550EX on camera with the Lumiquest Pocket Bounce and diffuser panel. Second was 430EX set at 24mm zoom camera right about 5 feet from the flowers. Other than a couple blemishes on the flowers themselves, I think it turned out alright.

3811904385_6d99aa2601.jpg

What do you think? What would you do different?

Jackie, it was two flashes set up for one image to create a few shadows to show the depth and contours of the flowers. I have been trying to come up with ways to practice using two flashes to produce something more than just single camera mounted flash.

Duh - thanks Tom, for the explanation! I seriously read the post a couple of times and kept expecting 2 images -- gotta learn to think outside the box a little more quickly smirk

It is a beautiful image though - the depth is amazing! Thanks for sharing, both the image and the technique!

Well not technically, I did do just the slightest levels adjustment in CS2 to get the black a bit more intensified. When I say slight, I mean it, the black was almost perfect straight out of camera. I didn't notice any change in the red of the roses though when I made the adjustment. They were really beautiful flowers to begin with, I bought my girlfriend 2 dozen when the local flower shop had a sale. 2 Dozen of the most beautiful roses I have seen for 10 dollars. Couldn't go wrong.

Yellowhead -

Sorry it took me so long. I went to the flower shop today and talked to the owner of the store. He told me they were Charlotte Roses cultivated in Columbia. He said they are a variety not grown for gardening but for clipping.

I was amazed by these flowers. The ones we had on the kitchen table lasted about 12 days in a brightly lit space (daylight through the window). The ones we had in the bedroom on the dresser lasted almost two and a half weeks. I was very impressed with them and told him how great I thought they were. Then he told me to go ahead and take another dozen on him because he was greatful to hear the compliments. Pretty sweet.