Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cooter

Nail knot for heavy mono/fluoro

11 posts in this topic

Is this what Lee Tauchen showed in one of his Esox articles? I've used a nail knot for fly line/leader connection but can't figure out how you use it for a knot to a swivel. When I do a search I get the standard fly fishing version. Any ideas?

Google "learning how to fish" and go to the HSOforum with that for the domain. No spaces and a dot com. On the left hand side, click on "fishing knots" and then you'll see a number of different knots including the nail knot.

If you can't find it by doing this, shoot me an email and I can send you the link.

Aaron

I still get the flyfishing/two line nail knot diagram. Maybe I'm all wrong about this nail knot on fluoro leaders but pretty sure you can buy a tool for them(as you can for the flyfishing version) and know the stealth leaders use what they term a nail knot.

Cooter, I didn't look too closely at that site I referred you to. But I just checked it out again and I see where your confusion is now. I've never used a nail knot so I don't have a good answer for you. You're right about the Stealth leaders, they do use a nail knot. I'm pretty sure Lee does as well. So that's probably what you saw. I'm not much more help than that though.

Aaron

Does anyone know how to tie a nail knot to hook with heavy leader Fluoro? I've spent too much time on google trying to figure this one out. Thanks all...

Dunno on the nail knot. I remember the article, but can't recall the details.

Another good one to try though is the Canoeman's knot. Works well for heavy leader material, and easy to tie.

RK

Is it just a nail knot or a combination between a nail and something else for the nail know to butt up against?

Tauchen has (or at least had) a video on his web site for the nail knot. You can also use a Perfection loop.