• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

seafoam ???

glenn57

Question

bought a can of seafoam last nite and holy mackerel, $6.48 a can at fleet farm. i remember not long ago about 2 bucks. what a rip off. does anyone know of a compairable brand? i heard NAPA may have something just as good. any comments? thanks.

By there data provided on there web site. Check on there site and you will see how it has performed in the field.

Nothing I can find on their site proves it is any better....what exact data are you referring to?

What made this product 10 time better vs Seafoam in your personal experience? Does Stabil fight carbon buildup, I don't see it referenced on their site anywhere and is an issue in some outboards?

I have never used Stabil and have always used Seafoam with no issues....so that's why I am curious.

Good info, just wondering of the three ways you mentioned, would dumping a full can into the gas tank of a car take of the things you mentioned, I am not a mechanic so info would be appreciated. I understand tha you can say put a couple of caps in say a 6 gallon 4 stroke engine gas tank and it will keep things smooth and then say a cap or so in a 4 wheeler gas tank for same outcome.

One once per gallon of fuel is all that is recommended. Yes you can dump it right into the fuel tank.

Typically we will do half a can in the oil and half a can in the tank. The half a can in the oil will free up lifter and such. You can run it for 15 minutes or so or drive it for a couple hundred miles then change the oil.

I have been doing this on the much neglected Saturn along with shorter oil change intervals and have reduced the oil consumption by half so far. I don't think it will get any better than that.

This is what the Stabil site says:

Marine Formula STA-BIL

America's #1 Selling Marine Fuel Additive Brand!

BEST Ethanol Problem Fighter

More than FOUR TIMES the Fuel System Cleaner than in Regular STA-BIL

DOUBLE the corrosion preventer than in Regular STA-BIL

Prevents corrosion from moisture & ethanol-induced water attraction

Improves marine engine performance YEAR-ROUND, not just for seasonal storage

I did not see any references or omaprision between Seafoam and this product. The comparisons are between MArine Blue and Stabil.

Saefoam has never let me down. I won't be making a switch any time soon.

Airjer, I have only ever added a can once a year to the fuel. If one was going to add it to the oil would it be recommended to say add it at 2500 miles on an oil change being I change my oil every 3000 miles or add it to clean oil and then change it at XXX miles. Please fill in the XXX with numbers if you choose the later.

The only time I would add it to the oil is if you where trying to fix a problem like stuck lifters. Than you can add half a can and drive it for 5 minutes or a couple hundred miles or anything in between.

You can add half a can after an oil change and run it through the normal oil change interval granted that the engine is healthy and you are not trying to get rid of excessive deposits. Once the isoprpynol and naptha (drying agent and varnish dissolver) flash off the only thing left is pale oil (lubricant).

If your trying to remove years of neglect than half a can before the oil change is best. More frequent oil changes will help clear the deposits and sludge that may have formed more than adding any type of cleaner.

The other neat thing about Motor Tune is you can add it to the power steering fluid (except CHF/mineral oil systems) and 9 times out of ten it will help quite them down. Those of you that own ford products especially windstars and Taurus's might benefit from than!

There are literally hundreds of uses for this stuff!

SeaFoam works great for cleaning up the crankcase on a dirty engine. I agree it has freed up a lot of sticky lifters and valve guides. I often use it just before an oil change.

Like I said I have been a fan of SeaFoam for many years. But for a fuel treatment the StaBil Marine Blue has better overall protection in my opinion and also by my personal experience with both products.

Nobody pays me to say I like either way, I like what I like, use what works for me, and I suggest others do the same.

bought a can of seafoam last nite and holy mackerel, $6.48 a can at fleet farm. i remember not long ago about 2 bucks. what a rip off.

Sea Foam Sales, Inc. donated 5 million to Concordia's new football stadium, might be a price bump there. 2 bucks or 10 bucks, you can't argue with the results.

The guy who services my outboard motor told me just yesterday that he had received a memo awhile back from Johnson Marine, warning folks not to use Stabil for a gas additive in marine fuel tanks that are used regularly, or frequently. His suggestion is to use Seafoam. He did not specify Stabil regular vs. Stabil Marine, but buyer beware on both.I use Seafoam for a gas additive/conditioner in my marine fuel tank.

That's because BRP Johnson/Evinrude wants to sell Evinrude/Johnson 2 + 4 fuel conditioner....there label.

The manufacturer of the 2+4...and...the Stabil Marine Blue is the same company (Gold Eagle Co.) and they have encouraged & recommended to BRP to change their formula. Why...because why would you want an "alcohol-based" additive that would enhance fuel separation?

BRP is very concerned about ethanol fuel complications, it's just they have differing formulas, and different angles on the same problem.

Does it matter if I am running Mobil 1 Synthetic Engine Oil?

I am about 250 miles away from an Oil Change and would like to add a can if it is OK

It is compatible with all oils.

Seafoam Motor Tune tech sheet-

"Sea Foam is safe to use with all synthetic oils. 100% synthetic oils, and blends of synthetic and petroleum-based oils, were engineered and are manufactured to be 100% compatible with petroleum based oils, all brands, and vice/versa. Without this compatibility, oil manufacturers and engineers would be liable for the results of mixing non-compatible lubricants. Since Sea Foam ONLY contains petroleum oils, it is entirely compatible with synthetic oils."

I must have stocked up at the right time. I usually buy 10-12 cans at a time at FF (lots of cylinders) and paid 4.59 can last time. Didn't even realize it had gone up this much. But for me price is not really and issue as I know the product has saved me allot of money over the years and even more importantly saved me the frustrations of fuel related problems.

Thank you for the info, so i will put seafoam in my truck, wifes car. and from what i am reading i am safe to put in an ounce or so per 6 gallon of gas for my honda 40 hp running it thru before storing, and 1 ounce per gallon in each of our four wheelers to just kind of clean them up a little and we should be good to go

Why would you want to add seafoam to Mobil1? With the cleaning properties of the Mobil1 PAO group IV basestock you shouldn't need a crankcase cleaner unless you have an ethylene glycol (antifreeze) leak into the crankcase. (EG antifreeze plus PAO syn oil chemically becomes a black slimy mess.) In this case you have a much bigger repair due than cleaning the crankcase.

i work at a napa store and we sell it for 7.99 we buy it for 6.13 so we do not make much on it at all so don't blame the retailer ......but there is really nothing elss out there that dose ever thing that sea foam dose there are things out there that do parts of what sea foam dose but you would be buying 2 differernt things to do everthing that it dose ......like 3m makes a really really good feal system cleaner but dose not stablise the feul or stable dose not cleen the fule system like sea foam dose so.......

Wow is this post real?