Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lakevet

How to take care of nightcrawlers

5 posts in this topic

Any good homemade recipes for worm bedding and tips for keeping crawlers long term? Ideal temp? Thinking of trying some ice fishing for eyes. Also any tips on favorite way to "condition" and keep crawlers in your boat in august?

lakevet

My dad would collect all his crawlers in the spring and keep them all summer but they had to be stored in a cool spot. We had a tuck under garage and the back of the garage was cool enough. He had a 2'x4'with 2' walls and he filled it 2/3 full of dirt and would always put the crawler on top and let them go into the dirt by themselves so if you had any bad ones they would stay on top. He would cover the dirt with a couple of layers of damp newspapers. You would have to change out the newspapers every couple of weeks because the crawlers would eat the stuff up and it would deteriorate. When we would go fishing for the day we would pack the crawlers in damp newspaper in a cooler with some blue ice. They would be really lively and there would be no dirt on the floor.

Thanks for the input. Does the newspaper have to be mostly black and white? Or is the colored ink a factor. I assume its just ground up newspaper that the bait shops pack crawlers in. I got a spot in the shop that would stay 45-50F all winter.

lakevet

We just used the black and white. Those temps should be perfect or long term storage. Just make sure that when ever you add any that you put them on top and let them crawl into the dirt by themselves. We would always go out and get our crawlers on a warm rainy night in late April or early May and walk down the streets and pick them up by the 1000 but we would only keep a couple 100 for our use and the rest we would sell for gas money for our fishing trips.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Last Friday, I saw a beetle at my home's carpet. It is very difficult for me to get rid with this beetle and I also saw some eggs were laying on the carpet, which was quite damaging. Then on a recommendation of my neighbor I had called up the Queens NY pest control services, who had used an insect spray and where the experts spray around the floorboards, furniture and on carpets and helped us by preventing the carpet beetles laying their eggs and removing all the food sources.  
    • arby's fries frozen?  at supermarket?  have to look for them...
    • Oh, just like the Rompers you are wearing around town then.
    • Made some frozen Arby's fries tonight and wow they were great. I would be sold just on the fries alone in this thing.   11mins cooked frozen, better and quicker than the drive thru lol
    • Actually the guy at ace was pretty close. These little guys are for framing steel studs before sheetrocking,  but yes they also could be for sheet metal work even though they are black . But your right hawg sharp and go in fast. 
    • What  a sweet find !!   Even better that you had a camera handy !!
    • Great trade and as of last year I know I wasn't ready to part with Lavine and his potential but that all changed when he went down with the injury.  I hope Lavine becomes a stud for Chicago in a few years but our time to win is now with this addition!!  Great move giving up hope for a top 15 player in the league that plays D is brilliant with the young studs we still have on roster.  Now all we need to do is add another player or 2 in free agency to strengthen our bench and we will be looking good.  Excited for the free agency to start!!! Playoffs here we come!!!!!! GO WOLVES!!!!!!!!!!!
    • http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/06/22/mall-of-america-slips/   Classic case of doctors juicing up a medical claim with a series of failed therapies, creating a life long patient and a corporation with deep pockets to bill for those services.  Think not?  Dont be so naive.  Nobody wanted to fix her, they just wanted to keep billing, sad deal that happens all too often.          
  • Our Sponsors