Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Katman

Hit a rock, prop bent, won't spin... lower unit gone?

5 posts in this topic

Friends called me from the water after finishing a tourney. They were cruising slowly to the lauch at Tonka but hit a rock. The prop is bent pretty bad and won't spin. There is no oil leaking but it won't shift out of the forward position. What can be the problem?

What you can do is drain the lower unit oil to check for any metal chips. I say if you have insurance just take it to the shop and get it fix chances are your lower units shot. I hit a rock earlier this year and loss reverse took it to the shop and they had to replace the lower unit. Got the boat back in 7days and runs like a champ. Thank God for insurance the bill freaked me out.

it coulda have knocked the gears out of alignment causing them not to shift and bind..

Its going to need a dissassembly to tell for sure. Trying to narrow the problem down at this point is purely speculation, it sounds like many things are busted and bent.

thanks guys... Insurance will take the hit on this one. Thanks!