• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Foiles Strait Meat Honker call

We're big into goose hunting and we've always used flute calls. They work fine but I wanted to upgrade to something better. Cabelas HSOforum says the Foiles call is fairly easy to learn. Anyone have any opinions or other suggestions?

Yes they are a great call. Any short reed will sound much more realistic than a flute. You will also learn with some practice that you are able to make more tones, and do so with less air.

If you have never used a short reed, look for a video for some pointers. I learned from Primos' Mastering the Art.

Take mnHunter79 up on his offer smile

honk honk smile BOOM!!!! smile

Death Row Calls "Life Sentence" is a easy short reed to blow and the customer service is top notch. It's what I use. But you know there are many good calls out there- Foiles, Grounds, Zink, Saunders and more....give all of them a try.

As of learning on blowing a short reed of all kinds of notes you will use in the field or on stage... I would recommend you watching the DVD or CD "Bad Grammer" by championship caller Scott Threinen. He makes the video exciting and motivated and does step by step on how to use in the field and so on. Good Luck!

I've blown them all....that's what she said....and I would say Foiles and Zink are the easiest to blow........that's what she said, and require the least amount of air to break it over (that will make more sense once you get into it) I learned by listening to the Foiles CD in my truck and just doing it over and over..

Death Row Calls "Life Sentence" is a easy short reed to blow and the customer service is top notch. It's what I use. But you know there are many good calls out there- Foiles, Grounds, Zink, Saunders and more....give all of them a try.

As of learning on blowing a short reed of all kinds of notes you will use in the field or on stage... I would recommend you watching the DVD or CD "Bad Grammer" by championship caller Scott Threinen. He makes the video exciting and motivated and does step by step on how to use in the field and so on. Good Luck!

I wouldn't say its easy to learn on call. Don't get me wrong I run all DRC but wouldn't be my recommendation for a beginner. Stick with a Zink Polycarb Power Clucker. Very easy to blow and learn. As you advance buy a Death Row Call. There bad to the bone and louder than any call on the market

I have a SMH and I like it. It was my first short reed. It seemed pretty easy to master. But if you want a cheap short reed call that sounds pretty good then I would go with Buck Gardner's Canada Hammer II for about $15. Best sounding call for under $30 IMO.

Where does a guy find a DRC? i know that you can get them online but is there any stores that carry them? Looking to try one out. After reading some about it online i am interested now.

You can find them at Scheel's I believe. Also Macks but that is a bit of a drive.

If you don't see them anywhere order one from Cory directly. You WILL NOT be disappointed.

The Short Drop is my favorite of them because of the range of it. Small call with lots of power.

Looking at DRC webcite and wondering what the difference between the Acrylic and the Delrin? Thanks for the info on these calls. I was looking at the "Life Sentance" but any other advice would be great.

Most stores that carry them usually are delrin but Mack's carries them with limits of colors. Give Cory a call and he will help you out with everything you have to ask, that's the best thing I would tell you to do.

he also has more color options that he has not added to his site. Life Sentence is a great hunter's call with different range, short drop is a great short call that you can tune it to high or lower pitch. The inmate is a little hard to blow with the BIG's but if you are a master, this call is for you on the field and on stage. Good Luck!

Looking at DRC webcite and wondering what the difference between the Acrylic and the Delrin? Thanks for the info on these calls. I was looking at the "Life Sentance" but any other advice would be great.

Delrin is a material that is softer than acrylic. Thus giving it less volume than the acrylic

I like the Foiles Straight Meat call. This is the call that I use most often. The air pressure to blow the call is relitivly low. I used Honker Talk DVD to learn how to use mine. Jeff Foiles tunes my call for me every year at Game fair for free. I know that Game Fair is over for the year but I think of it as free admision to the show just to get my call tuned.

With time and a little practice you find it is much easier to change note and put a string of calling together with a short reed call.

Whatever brand you decide to buy make sure you buy the real thing. I have noticed the knock off calls are not even close in sound performance.