• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Reloading Supplies

Metro Gun club in Blained has pretty decent prices on reloading components and a fair selection. Ballistic Products in Corcoran has just about everything, but they are over priced and try steering you to their custom components which aren't all that good in my opinion.

If you're just getting started you should find a local shop that isn't a big box store. The advice they can and will give you is well worth the price you may pay for any of the tools or supplies you need. You may be able to shop around and find someone selling some used equipment to get yourself going without spending the big bucks. Keep it simple at least when you start out. There are guys that have 14 different powders, 6 different wads, electronic powder scales etc etc etc. You won't need all of that for a long time.

Originally Posted By: Archerysniper
Wolfs Den in Hugo
Ditto on that. Great place for advice if you need any help.

I am very surprised nobody has mentioned the Gunstop in Minnetonka.

HSOforum is ok, but do yourself a favor and show up in person. John is "the" human library when it comes to reloading information. Prices are better than average also. Makes Gander look silly. Which... well... I'll leave it there.

gunstop dot com will show you further details. Also, a gun shop that is very much worth the visit. Same situation on pricing.

I am going to start doing some loading for both 12 and 20 ga shells and need to know where people get their supplies from. I am going to be loading for both hunting and trap. Thanks for the help.

I second Metro. I haven't been there in a couple of years but they used to have a pretty good selection. Lead is still crazy expensive but it's come down from last year. I think it was down to $30 a bag at Gander recently. Thankfully, I still have plenty! Good rule of thumb is red dot for the 12 and green dot for the 20. There are better powders out there but that should get you started. Thankfully, shotgun primers aren't nearly as scarce as rifle/pistol primers and red dot/green dot isn't in short supply either (at least at my local Gander - Forest Lake). Also - I have an old 20 ga MEC 600 that I can part with. I bought a progressive at an estate sale last year and my old 600 is collecting dust.

If you can't find hulls, let me know and I can spot you a hundred each gauge. I'm a packrat and have been collecting for 20 years! As for hulls, I used to reload A LOT of steel duck loads when I lived out west. If you do steel, you want to find Federal Gold Medals. They aren't tapered inside the hull and don't have the pressure issues of AA or RP's. In other words, they'll scoot just a little faster with less pressure. I was hooked on Alliant Steel at the time but I have to admit I haven't reloaded steel in a few years.

Lou

Thanks for all the help guys. i did find everything I needed to get started. I got most of it at Ballistics and the rest from the Wolfs Den. Both places have been great to work with. I have some hulls for now but I am always watching to get more when I can. So far I have been just loading lead shot but may do steel in the future. I have been using longshot for powder and have good success with that. It actually is less expensive then Red or Green. Again thanks for all the help.

Rich