• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Aggresive Pike

DonBo

I've heard guys talk about this, but I've never seen it till yesterday.

I was walleye fishing and hooked what felt like a decent fish. After fighting it for a few seconds it made a huge run. I was thinking musky. Finally got it up near the surface and I could see it was a northern. Well this northern had a 16" walleye in it's mouth! I hooked the walleye and the pike grabbed it. Almost got them both in the net, the pike didn't let go till the last second. The pike was only about 24-26" and I'm sure he didn't weigh any more than the walleye.

Pretty good start to the day I thought. That was almost as cool as seeing the 4'+ sturgeon all the way out of the water just 20' from the boat!

I did the same thing with a 12 inch perch this early summer. I could feel the perch hitting the jig, just a tap tap tap tap... All of a sudden, BAM. I almost lost my rod. Ended up getting both fish in the net, the pike was was right around 30 inches.

First time that's happened to me too!

I had that happen this summer with 2 pound bass and a 44 inch musky. It hit when the bass was being reeled in on the surface right by the boat. I held on for my life while the musky did the same. Ended netting the both after a minute of not knowing what to do. The bass was my limit fish for my tourney, swam right off after release, even with some very visible teeth marks...

I caught a 10 inch pike once and it wrapped my line around a log, once we got the boat up to the snag we seen that a bigger northern had grabbed hold of the little guy, he let go and took off when we showed up. The little guy had a nice gash on his belly, but swam away fine.

I like to fish spinnerbaits for pike, I've caught a few that had grabbed hold of only the spinner and wouldn't let go. Have also gotten bitten off by pike only catch it a few minutes later with lure still in it's mouth.

As far as muskies go, I've had a few follows and long stares as I've reeled in smallmouths. But none have grabbed hold of the bass (yet).

One of my earliest memories I was crappie fishing with my dad (30 years ago or so) and he had a Northern attack the crappie he was reeling in. White on the belly was at least 24" long as it rolled by the boat and took off with the back of the crappie missing from the dorsal to tail.

Fun exciting stuff

I had the same exact thing happen last night with my wife while fishing crappies. Wife was watching the bobber go down and reeling it in with all her might up to the side and all I see is a pike and then flash it was gone and here was a small rock bass all chewed up still sucking on the minnow. It was almost one of those 3 generations pictures. Minnow <---Rock Bass <----Northern. It was cool while it lasted for a few seconds.