• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Entry Level Goose Decoys

I'm a long time upland hunter, but want to spend some time hunting geese. I'm assuming I'm going to love it, but don't want to go overboard on expenses the first season. I plan to spend my time hunting in fields. I know this is a loaded ford/chevy question, but what would you suggest for entry level decoys and how many can you get by with?

Careful Decoys are addicting. Typically people start with shells and silhouttes for numbers then start working their way up to Full Bodies.

What I would not do is pump money into a bunch of junky decoys (older Flambeau and carry lite shells) just for numbers. You can watch HSO-Classifieds I got some good deals there on used decoys last year.

If you're going to go with a shell decoy go with Avery's and flocked heads.

I would start with what you can afford. Some is better than none. In my opinion I would say try to get silos or bigger shell decoys (floaters also work and can pull double duty if you get into hunting over water). I have not hunted strictly geese for sometime but for 10 years I field hunted geese exclusively. If you are in an area that holds birds the number of decoys is not the most important thing when you start out. What is important is getting their attention. Getting a call and learning the basics will bring them in range even without decoys especially in the early season. Don't get me wrong decoys are very important and will increase your chances but if you are limited in the number of decoys you can afford buy some (6-12) and grab a descent flute type call that is easy to use. Practice the "Cluck" sound and you will be bringing them in with a little practice. Use the call to get them looking and the decoys to seal the deal.

FnF

bonefish, I have 4 dozen full bodys (ghg pro series) with slot bags that I would be willing to let you use. I take them to canada every year for a couple weeks and when I get back they usually only see the field one or two more times, im usually upland hunting! If you are interested let me know and we can try and make some arrangements. I have a trailer for them but I use that too often to let that out. I know how spendy it can be to get into this sport! let me know.

Sunday is the best day to get deals at game fair. There are tons of people selling decoys, especially Dakotas. They are nice decs, but overpiced. For whatever reason I didn't type it correctly, but check out HSO-Classifieds some great deals to be had, just know your prices on new decs, because that is what most guys try to sell them for before giving up and settling for a lot less