• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rage broadheads

walleye-

What do you guys do with your rages when you put them in your quiver? Do you just let them open and then just close them when you pull them out I know it is kind of a dumb question but it really annoys me when I put them in the quiver. The other thing I don't like about them is when I'm walking to my stand in the evening I always have a arrow nocked because you never know but you have to always watch the broadhead because they come open and I don't know how they will fly if one of the blades is out

I have an alpine softloc quiver which has a removable foam piece that i just took out. There is a thinner foam piece under that so just the tip of the rage goes in the foam. The broad is protected so i havent had any problems from the rages opening in while in the quiver.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was checking them out on Cabelas and reading the reviews. It seems like either people love them or hate them. Not much in between. Not enough consistency for me to purchase. If I have the big boy in my sights I need something tried and true.

I think I'll stick with my G5's

This seems pretty true no matter where you go, however you might find out a lot of the people bashing them have never used them. Or they made a poor shot and blamed the broadhead instead of looking in the mirror. Remember these are not maricle heads, if you make a poor shot they might not get the job done just like any other broadhead. Just like anything that is popular, people hate the head simply because its the popular broadhead and they spend a lot of $$$ on marketing, there are a lot of the "pros" pushing these heads on every tv show.

I don't shoot a certain bow or arrow based on someone elses opinion, I shoot them and I form my own opinion, same goes for broadheads. You should shoot them, see how they work with your setup and if you feel confident give them a try.

exactly, people need to experiment before giving an opinion. just like bows, u should try a few before making the purchase, but too many people are name brand specific, only cause they dont know any better grin

So now after reading all these pages, I'll add a little more fuel to the fire.

I had to choose a broadhead for my daughter to shoot this year. She pulls 45 lbs peak draw weight. I thought a smaller broadhead would penetrate better but didn't like the diameter.

I chose the Rage 40KE's. A 2 blade designed for lighter draw weights. It has a 1 1/2 in diameter with a cutting tip.

I gave up the maximum penetration idea for more diameter thinking she may not get a pass through anyway. I will be limiting her to 20 yards.

Any input on this decision?

I'd say give it a try Wanderer, since its a new head I doubt anyone has used it in the field. Witht he Rage design and rear opening blades I don't think you use as much KE as people think so give it a try and report back to us this fall. Good luck to you and your daughter.

Expandables aren't a great choice for low poundage set ups in my opinion. If it was me I'd probably take a page from the stickbow shooters and get her on a cut on contact point with long blade length. Like a snuffer or soemthing of that nature.

Different stroke for different folks though. I think if you make sure she's taking a broadside shot and keeping her range 20 yards or in she'll be fine regardless.

I gave up the maximum penetration idea for more diameter thinking she may not get a pass through anyway. I will be limiting her to 20 yards.

From the video posted on another thread (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoqGd7aBoAo) I don't think getting pass throughs is very common with Rages anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it.

From the video posted on another thread (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoqGd7aBoAo) I don't think getting pass throughs is very common with Rages anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Brule have you ever shot the Rage before? I only ask because it seems a lot of people who have never used them love to bash them. I personally have take 6 or 7 deer now with the Rage heads, and I have had complete pass throughs every time, most often breaking ribs in the way in and on the way out.

No I never have. I'm not really trying to bash them, just calling it like I see it from the video that was posted.

It's good to know they make good pass throughs. But it's funny that they don't include those in their promotional video.

I see how nasty they are, and am very impressed with the entry hole they leave, I just figured they are more about initial entry then a clean pass through. So, I figure for someone looking for a broadhead that will make a solid pass through, I didn't think the Rages were really the one to shoot.

I'm not anti-Rage's at all. It's all about confidence in ones equiment. I, personally, don't think I would feel very confident flining around something mechanical that might foul up, but to each their own.

I had to choose a broadhead for my daughter to shoot this year. She pulls 45 lbs peak draw weight. I thought a smaller broadhead would penetrate better but didn't like the diameter.

I chose the Rage 40KE's. A 2 blade designed for lighter draw weights. It has a 1 1/2 in diameter with a cutting tip.

Yea,

You should have talked to the guy who supplied the bow, he has the perfect 100grainers to go with it. whistle

My son shot 2 deer with his Parker Buckshot set at 45 lbs. The heads he was using were Crimson Talon mechanicals, which left a nasty huge hole.

Like your daughter, he had a 20 yard limit - but ended up shooting his deer literally at point-blank range.

Both deer were complete pass-throughs, and neither one made it over 30 yards. Blood trails that even a blind man could follow.

With his new bow (set at 50 lbs), he has chosen the Rage 3 blade, and we are both convinced after several rounds into the foam deer that these things are going to drop anything he hits squarely.

Originally Posted By: Wanderer

Yea,

You should have talked to the guy who supplied the bow, he has the perfect 100grainers to go with it. whistle

Once again....That would have been good information to know YESTERDAY!!!!! grin

Let's see what ya got. Bring em around next time.

Thanks for the input from others as well. To the point about cut on contact broadheads vs. mechanicals: Why can't the mechanicals that have the razor point on them be considered 'cut on contact'?

They start cutting at impact. It seems to me anyway.

I don't care what kind of broadhead anybody uses as long as:

A) It lets the arrow fly straight and predictable.

B) It makes it through the boiler room.

C) It makes a wound that allows for a good blood trail.

That's it, that's all I ask. smile