• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rage broadheads

walleye-

Been shooting muzzys for many years but figured that with all the hype of these rage I would try them. So I bought some 2 blade heads and gave them a whirl. Not to impressed though they are noisey as heck. When I shoot them you can really hear them cutting through the air. Not sure if the blades are coming out in flight or if mecanicals are just that noisey. As of now I am thinking that I just wasted 40 bucks. Anyone else have this problem or is this just how they are?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the three blades. They are noisy I know what you mean but all I've shot is the practice tip. I got them for what the twins's fan said the blood trail. I'm partial color blind so I'm hoping they work. But I also hunt a lot of the year out of a ground blind so I have Muzzy and Rage on my quiver.

guess what, the deer isnt going to be able to get out of the way by the time the arrow reaches it so whatever noise you are hearing most likely wont matter. Also, I would check our vains to make sure its not a tear; my rages shoot with the same noise level as my field tips. The rage broadheads are nasty, plain and simple. They work even on a poor shot placement. If you havent tried them out on a deer, you should! Its awesome! Dont worry, your $40 wasnt wasted.

I have shot the 2 blade heads for two years now and have had no problems. I shot three turkeys in one sit this spring with them so I know that the noise is not a problem for them. And like Kyle said unless it is a dead calm morning and it is a long shot the deer is not going to hear it coming anyway.

Well I tried them again this moning and have decided tho stick with the muzzys. Just don't like the noise that they make. The o ring seems like it hardly holds the blades in place and I tried all three in package and all were the same. I shot gator 2 blades for one year about 8 years ago don't think they sell them anymore but those were quiet and yes they do leave a huge hole. But still can't part with the muzzys.

give me a break they work even on poor shots. do the world a favor and stay out of the woods . The rage broadhead is the single biggest joke the archery industry has seen in years the are junk if you touch a rib its over. they have no ability to break bone,the blades are weak and they are noisey I have heard all I can stomach about the rage they should be banned. there is no excuse to use them unless you do not know any better..

You gotta do what you gotta do I guess, but I think your throwing your money away, and doing a real diservice to yourself. Things are not always what they seem...I would recommend taking a shot at a doe to see how you like them, that way you have the confidence in which ever broadhead you choose after that.

I guess I have never noticed the noise. I hear my feathers a little. I have shot 13 deer in the past two seasons with the 2 blade rages with great results. I shot a doe at a quater away the broad head went in with the blades parellel to the ground cutting through three ribs on the way in and exiting out in front of the other shoulder. Every deer went down within 75 yards including a 240lbs dress buck who made it 30 yards. I have had some bent blades but have never lost a blade or broke a blade. I guess the cons would be less penetration due to the 2" cut and the blades can pop open in the quiver. Two reasons I use Slick tricks for elk hunting.

i guess i don't know any better! apparently rage are a joke, but i'm not laughin. banned,??? its just like a bowtech, mathews or ford chevy conversation. everyone has their own preferences. and i'm guessing somebody despises rage!! I'm a proud rage owner. will never trade either. you could kill a deer with a field point. the biggest thing is shot placement. i highly doubt that any arrow equipped with any broadhead from a modern bow will stop at a rib! thinkin that won't happen. i could see a pelvis raising heck, but ribs. i doubt it.

by the way, my avatar pic. 175 4/8 net, 182 1/8 gross nontypical. 2nd place 2009 MN deer classic in current archery adult nontyp category. 32 yd shot, tracked for 70 yards. whacked with a 2" 2 blade rage, junk, doubt it.

by the way, my avatar pic. 175 4/8 net, 182 1/8 gross nontypical. 2nd place 2009 MN deer classic in current archery adult nontyp category. 32 yd shot, tracked for 70 yards. whacked with a 2" 2 blade rage, junk, doubt it.

You also shot him head on so I guess they do work well for those marginal shots.

give me a break they work even on poor shots. do the world a favor and stay out of the woods . The rage broadhead is the single biggest joke the archery industry has seen in years the are junk if you touch a rib its over. they have no ability to break bone,the blades are weak and they are noisey I have heard all I can stomach about the rage they should be banned. there is no excuse to use them unless you do not know any better..

Funny post, you must be one of the guys who has never used the head but slams it to no end just because you don't have anything better to do. Either that or you made a poor shot and blamed it on the broadhead instead of the shooter. I can gaurentee they slam through ribs without a problem, several times I have broken two ribs on entry and 2 ribs on exit so unless you can prove otherwise I am calling you a liar.

I alwasy find it comical when someone is slamming the equipment others use, there is usually some kind of agenda behind it. If you are a true bowhunter you should have no problem killing a deer with any combo of bow/arrow/broadhead on the market. I've never understood how people could get so worked up over who uses what equipment, it will all work in the field if it is used properly, name brand or not.

The rage broadheads are nasty, plain and simple. They work even on a poor shot placement.

I'm suspecting this was the quote that got bottom bouncer fired up. It's not the type of message that most veteran bowhunters want to see floating around. I'm more partial to 'Any broadhead will work with proper shot placement' instead of just fling this magic broadhead at what ever holds still long enough. Also, while the results are nice....I'd personally take a pass on any buck that was facing me at 32 yards. Not an ethical high percentage shot in my book. It's too big a risk on too nice an animal.

You gotta do what you gotta do I guess, but I think your throwing your money away, and doing a real diservice to yourself. Things are not always what they seem...I would recommend taking a shot at a doe to see how you like them, that way you have the confidence in which ever broadhead you choose after that.

What is this? Take a shot at a doe to see how you like them? How about you figure out how you like them before you shoot anything! Come on - and the previous post about even poor shots do well with this broadhead? Are you being serious? Why would a doe not demand the same respect as a 10 point buck? We as hunters need to show our game respect by trying to make a clean kill - not try out some gadget to get our confidence up.

Well then i should have taken a pic of the 3 (THREE) broken ribs on my last deer. two blade rage broke one on the way in and two on the way out at aprox 18 yrds. So, guess you dont know every thing.....!! to each their own i guess.

pass if you will, i thought about it too! But I was confident in the shot. I knew my bow inside and out, and could drive tacks with! Actually it is somewhat of an ethical shot. all of those major blood vessels, and then the boiler room to boot?!! its just tricky in the fact that the target is smaller.

just today i watched driven tv. a buck was shot in the hind quarter. died 100 yards later. an ethical shot placement, no, but thats where the arrow hit, and yes, the deer died and was recovered. die quickly, somewhat. ethical, i guess.

either it is ethical or it isnt there is no in between. I have never heard a bow hunter who has much experience even consider this shot as ethical. it has nothing to do with it being a smaller target with all of your experience dont you aim for a very specific spot on the animal you trying to kill similiar to shooting at the 12 ring on a 3-d target. its not ethical because your chances of a pass through are slim and because of the sheer amount of bone that you could hit A.K.A sternum

My point is that sometimes shots are marginal and there is nothing you can do about it. This statement does not suggest that anyone should go out and attempt shots that they normally wouldnt simply because they think the rage will still kill the animal. Rages seems to work on margin shots when others dont; or at least as fast. By this Im speaking of accidental marginal shots. Your right a doe does deserve a well placed shot and broadhead. My point on that statement was that does are usually more plentiful, and easier to kill for the majority. I have absolutely no doubt that the rage will take down a doe. I suggested he take a doe to see how the broadhead fairs simply because it will probably be easier to get a doe in range than a nice buck. I would never suggest this with a broadhead that I knew wouldnt work, or one that doesnt have the consistancy of kills that this one does for me. At the same time I think the arguement with this statement is a little unjust; if you were trying a new broadhead would you shoot it at a monster buck the first time? NO you wouldnt. why? because there are alot fewer bucks in the world than does, and your going to do everything you can to use a broadhead your confident in on the rare big buck.

Bottom-bouncer-

You can have your opinions, but lets keep it an adult converstation. Telling someone to stay out of the woods simply because you dont like the broadhead he uses is stooping pretty low is downright rude. If your sick of hearing about these broadheads then quit reading and replying to the posts. Its simple.

I think that the opinions on the rage are 50/50. 50 percent of the people absolutly love them because they have actually have used them an seen the devistating effects they have on an animal. I mean what is there not to like big entrance holes and exit holes, huge blood trails. Talk about having respect for the animals these things usually put a deer down with in fifty yards of a well placed shot. Then i think the other 50 percent of people are people who are just to stubborn to try new things so they form an opionion with out giving them a try. They come up with complaints how they break and dont even open with out even trying them. I think that they form this opinion on what mechanical broad heads do.

pass if you will, i thought about it too! But I was confident in the shot. I knew my bow inside and out, and could drive tacks with! Actually it is somewhat of an ethical shot. all of those major blood vessels, and then the boiler room to boot?!! its just tricky in the fact that the target is smaller.

I will always pass a facing animal and I'd have second thoughts about shooting an alert animal at that distance even if it was broadside. It has nothing to do with knowing my equipment or archery skills either. I've shot numerous 300 rounds and taken home first place trophies from archery leagues and 3-d shoots. A deer just isn't a stationary target. And the woods isn't the same as an archery range. When you dropped the hammer you couldn't be sure that the deer wouldn't string jump. You said yourself it's a smaller target. If that deer reacted it would be pretty easy to make a bad shot. There could also be some unseen branch between you and the deer that causes a slight deflection. Who know's...sometimes even the best shots flinch or jerk when they are shooting at the biggest buck of their life. Things are never perfect in the woods. Personally I think we owe it to the animals we hunt to take the best shots possible.

I've had all sorts of things happen that I didn't think would. I had what I thought was a perfectly calm broadside doe string jump at 30 yards. I was just lucky to break the spine just in front of the back legs. The arrow struck abot 2 feet diagonally from where I intended.

The thing is....it's not the results that are ethical or not, it's the attempts. If you take a broadside shot at a calm unaware animal within your effective range, it's ethical. It doesn't matter if the results are good or bad. It's ethical because you did the best you could to make a clean kill. Taking a risk that pays off doesn't make you ethical, it makes you lucky. I don't mean to harp on you. If you never wound an animal you'll be able to ignore what I'm saying. But if you are like the rest of us and things finally go wrong, you'll have to answer to yourself.

Vister did what he had to do.... It's ALL about confidence and he got the job done!

Very nice shot on a very nice deer! Congrats!

As for Rage's..... Watching the video someone posted on this or another thread promoting Rage's, I noticed that aside from the bad shot deer(through the guts) and the antelope next to the water, not one was a clean pass-through. Sure all deer were recovered, with amazing entry holes and bleeding like a seive, but don't we want to use a head that consistently shoots through the animal?

I'm asking this because I'm a newer bowhunter and have yet to shoot a deer with an arrow. I always assumed you were looking for a clean pass through, and with Rage's it seems you don't get that. Not sure I will make the jump until I nock a few deer down and gain some of the confidence I previously referred to.