Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
skies_and_eyes

Best .22 LR for all around use?

17 posts in this topic

What are some good guns new/used that would be worth buying? I'm looking for guns that have a good rep, and also scope ideas? I'm in the market, and I would like some input. I would mostly use the gun for plunking and squirrels.

Owned many loved 3 Yep the 10/22 because its one of the most DURABLE autos out there.I have 2 and mainly use them for screwing around plinking. Never been one for using a auto for hunting.No need in my mind

If I feel like playing tree rat sniper my Savage MKIIFV its n eye picker with a 4-12 power on it.The heavy barrel is tad over but the accu trigger is sweet.I benched it at a 75 yds and no squirrel escapes....

I started with a winchester single action BUT when the old man put a remington fieldmaster in my hands one christmas the cotton tails and tree rats were DOOMED.When we lived in AZ the jacks were no match for a box of stingers...

I loved that gun and when certain low life in Odessa MN stole most my guns I was crushed. When Pops passed away his fieldmaster became mine.

Those are my favorite's I have several others had em for year's put many many brick's through them all. I was bummed tho reading that some clowns in GOVT and some fools on this site think lead bullets should be banned. I can't imagine NOT being able to go plinking with my 22's. I guess some people grew up WRONG

Ruger 10/22...very good rifle all around--Accurate, durable. It's been everything I could've ever hoped for in a 22. I've had mine about 30 years now.

Savage MarkII under 200 bucks for a bolt action, very accurate. Just got one for my father this spring. Loved the gun, would have bought one for myself had I not already had a marlin sq880. If you don't plan on doing a lot of shooting, don't worry about the bull barrel. The accutrigger seems weird, but it is really sweet when you start using it, no creep, just a steady trigger pull. Nice gun for the money and you get high priced or low priced versions. We got the low priced version and it still shot awesome.

I have a remington 581. I love this .22 because it lite weight and also has a nice long barrel on it. I got it for $100 with my grad money. this remington is a bolt action. I love bolt action .22 because you have to think about about that shot because you just can plink off a another round right alway. but the ruger 10/22 is a sweet gun. My friend gave a a ruger 10/22 charger for my birthday and I love that gun to dead. now back to my reminton. I have not been able to find another 581 out there to it might to hard to find that 581. but let us know what you pick

Ruger 10/22

The standard version is a great gun.

The Target Model with the heavy barrel is an upgrade.

I have the target model with a 9-3 bipod and a Leupold 4-12X scope.

It is great for plinking and killing woodchucks.

The target version could be a little too heavy to haul around the woods squirrel hunting all day.

Hello,

I got a gun but it was not the Ruger 10/22..sorry everyone. I got a really good deal on a new Mossberg 702 Plinkster with a Barska 4X32 scope thrown in. I like it so far, now to get that scope sighted in better, or maybe it is just me. Thanks for all the input!

ruger 10/22 with stingers = great gun for everything from black birds to cyotes in the face