• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help Please

walleyeslayer18

I have been catfishing from shore at night for awhile now and my friends and i have been using bells on the tip of our poles to alert us. but i would really like an open faced reel with a clicker. (not familiar with baitcasters). i was wondering if someone could let me know of an open faced reel with a clicker big enough for catfishing for a decent price. or if i could buy a used one from someone that still works! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Okuma ABF-50 or ABF-65

I love my ABF-50 and I feel more confident with that reel for big Flatheads than my 6600C4. They are extremely affordable for such a quality reel at $40-45. The one thing I don't like about it is the clicker is a bit quiet BUT it works great and is adjustable. It gets the job done.

There are several options available for an open face baitfeeder reel.

Shimano Baitrunner

Okuma Avenger and Epixor

Penn Liveliner

Cabelas SaltStriker (same as Okuma for a lighter price)

Being able to adjust tension is very nice on these reels.

Be warned though that in all cases, the clicker is not very audible and most likely for shore fishing at night you will need some sort of visual feedback such as a lightstick clipped to your line or something.

Sometimes we can barely hear these go off in the boat, but then again we could just be getting old. laugh

My favorite is Dark30’s cork device. Attach to line via a slot and interference fit, then a simple snap swivel attached to line to keep it from floating away if it falls off. Drill a small hole for a glow stick to fit in. Voila…visual bite indicator.

I think I'm missing something. Wasn't the OP specifically talking about baitcasting reels, not spinning reels? Reading the post, I see a person could take it either way. confused

Years and years for shorefishing cats, I just always used Ambassadeur 6500 series baitcasting reels, which stood the guff, had a plenty loud clicker (and the tension is adjustable) and could be had on sale for $75.

My favorite is Dark30’s cork device. Attach to line via a slot and interference fit, then a simple snap swivel attached to line to keep it from floating away if it falls off. Drill a small hole for a glow stick to fit in. Voila…visual bite indicator.

I actually just use the rubber thing made for bobbers and put the glow stick in that. I will take a picture tonight and upload it. I also made a small incision to the rubber piece and added a small zip tie for added support and security that it will not fall of. Works great!

I think I'm missing something. Wasn't the OP specifically talking about baitcasting reels, not spinning reels? Reading the post, I see a person could take it either way. confused

Years and years for shorefishing cats, I just always used Ambassadeur 6500 series baitcasting reels, which stood the guff, had a plenty loud clicker (and the tension is adjustable) and could be had on sale for $75.

I am pretty sure he is talking about a good spinning reel as he is not too familiar with bait casters. However I wouldn't discourage away from them. after a couple hours practicing casting and removing a bunch of backlash one can get a hang of it. Once fine tuned you are good to go. I rarely even stick my thumb on the spool now I have mine tuned up to where it shouldn't back lash unless i get aggressive.

I have a Penn Liveliner as of last year. Its not cheap but very nice and its one of the last remaining "Made In The USA" reels out there.

The clicker is not loud so yes, a "flying bobber" is a must...especially if your going def grandpa.gif

I actually just use the rubber thing made for bobbers and put the glow stick in that. I will take a picture tonight and upload it. I also made a small incision to the rubber piece and added a small zip tie for added support and security that it will not fall of. Works great!

0810092112Small.jpg

What I'm talking about is actually attaching something to your line or as Dark call's it, a "flying bobber". That way, you can be fairly far away from your pole and glance at the line and see if it has been taken out or not.

dont know if they still make them but I have a shimmano 650 baitrunner model that is a great cat reel and the clicker is adjustable and is a deep tone clicker I purchased it in 1986 and it hasnt ever given me a problem except that now my son Joey loves it so he claimed it as his. I run 80lb berkly fusion on it and it handels very well.

I have also taken a lighted bobber battery and have tapped it to my rod tip with electrical tape as a strike indacator its nice cause you can push the light to go off iff not using or pull on when you want it on and is viusable from quite a distance.

Originally Posted By: MinnesnowtaWild
buying glowsticks from the bait shops gets real expensive real fast.

Theres an online auction HSOforum that solved that problem for me. I think I spent 15 bucks and got over 100 of them.

Yeah I have looked online at those too, hmmmm I'll figure something out one way or another.