• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Polaris Ranger Accesories for ice fishing

FisH_SLaYer24

My family just bought a new Polaris Ranger 700 XP and can't wait to use it. We are going to be using it for ice fishing, hunting, and recreation. What I am wondering is what are some accesories that we could add to our Rig for the ice season.

Any tips and help are greatly appreciated.

For travel in the snow, the first thing I would do is ditch the stock tires and put on a good set of aftermarket rubber. The first set I would look at is the Maxxis Bighorns. Another good tire for winter use would be the ITP Terracross. Any tire size larger than stick, I would recommend a clutch kit for a higher engagement rpm. The ultimate thing for winter would be a set of tracks, but you're looking at another $4500-$7500 for tracks.

Second, I would consider adding a rack to the front along with a set of gun mounts that can double as a carrier for your auger. This allows a little more room for buckets and the sort in the box of the Ranger.

A cab would make the worst of the MN winter days seem like a walk in the park.

A good RAM mount and a GPS would be another essential item.

I'm not sure on the Ranger XP, but if it doesn't have a winch, add one. For a vehicle the size of a Ranger, I would be looking at a 4500lb winch or larger. If you add the winch, make sure it's got the synthetic cable. Steel cable will cause a lot of misery.

If you spend some late nights on the ice, lighting could be a life saver. A good set of PIAA's ontop of the Ranger will not only dress it up nicely, but will assist you in steering clear of any issues that might cause you to take a swim.

The #1 most essential accesory would be a quality full windshield. My dad owns a Ranger with one and it is 10 times warmer to drive than my regular ATV. He doesnt even have the doors or back or anything and its still plenty warm.

Other than that maybe just a winch and possibly some tire chains.

If your on a budget the items I mentioned should be sufficent in my opinion.

Check with canvas craft, I was at the game fair and seen that they now make ainsulated fish house for the back of the ranger, pertty sweet set-up. 2009 700 xp, cab, fish house new dealer demo for their fish house mount, 11,995

If you go for just the windshield, you will hate it come summer it is a dust magnet. Go with the cab kit, at least the windshield, roof and back panel. I like the tip-out windshield because you get some air on warmer days. Doors are easy to add later, after doors you will want the heater with defrost. Look into Rangerware they have excellent quality cabs and other accessories, best of all made right in Grand Rapids, MN.

Stock tires aren't too bad and they wear like iron, I have 1900 road miles on mine and they still look like new. Tracks are nice but I wouldn't buy them again, noisy, vibrating and slow are three "nice" words to say about the Polaris tracks.

Lights I would just upgrade the existing with a HID kit, made a world of difference in mine, the additional lights aren't needed.

I added a $150 Kobalt alum crossover toolbox, from a S10 pickup, it works great for rods and other gear, also lockable.

DSC00667Large.jpg

Where can i find an auger holder? How much will it cost? And also how/where do i mount it? In the front?

Also we are looking for a good trailer and a good cost, have any ideas? It will need to have enough room for a ranger and a portable fish house, but also light enough to tow behind the ranger.

Thanks everyone!

aczr2k,

Does your auger sleeve mount to the Ranger somehow or do you just put it in the cargo box? Just got a new Ranger HD with the glacier II blow system. Figure that should be able to get me around pulling my Fish Trap Voyager. The problem I have is what to do with the auger. I'm surprised Polaris didn't come out with an auger holder for their lock and ride setup.

i have a Rhino 660 4x4 and love it for Ice Fishing!!

Ice Fishing/Winter Must haves....

Cab is the best bet but a full windshield is the next best thing. I went one winter with out one and man is that a Life saver but like said above in the summer it is a dust magnet, but i can deal with it. Next is get rid of the stock tires....i would have to say Mudlite XTR's Tracks would be SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

then i would say a winch then more lights....i built a safari rack and just ordered 4 lights for the top facing forward and then 2 in the back plus a Becon!. and i usually carry my shovel up on the safari rack.

this fall i am going to be building a flatbed for my rhino which will have a auger holder and bucket holder also....i have all the metal just not the time!

I had made up this carrier a couple of years ago for the fourwheeler, modified it and made it work on the ranger. Just need to cover up the powerhead otherwise it works great. Picture is kinda blurry.

DSC00671Large.jpg

my neighbor has a ranger and the first things he did was add the windshield that opens a little and doors (saved me from flying out of the ranger a couple times) and he added a heater. with these you can drive in your sandals and t-shirt and be warm!!! He also did the clutch and added a spotlight on the top that points out the back and a removable bench seat that goes in the back.....we have used his for plowing the driveways the last 2-3 years, hunting, ice fishing, yard work, and just taking rides all over......it is a very handy piece of equipment!!!

Tracks are nice but I wouldn't buy them again, noisy, vibrating and slow are three "nice" words to say about the Polaris tracks.

Lights I would just upgrade the existing with a HID kit, made a world of difference in mine, the additional lights aren't needed.

I would also say to get a set of HID lights, much better than wasting $$$ on PIAA's or something else. They can be bought on the bay for around $100. I bought mine from Burkemotopros, I had them in 2 days and the quality is great.

ACZR2K, let me know if you decide to take out an ad and sell your Polaris tracks....... I know of a quad that needs them. wink