• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wisconsin River Fishing Reports-Prairie duChien-Stevens Point-WI Dells

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went out yesterday on the Wisconsin Rapids Flowage. Water temp was 51 degrees. Out from sun up till 1:00. Caught 10-12 walleyes, no legals. 5-6 smallies. Fish caught on large fathead or small sucker.

Beautiful day to be out.

Report from 11-13-10. Tough day, walleyes were biting short on suckers. Probably caught 10 or so fish. Lost a nice fish (4-5lbs) in the trees, by shore.

That was last day of open water fishing for me in WI. Hoping to get out one more time in the boat in west/central MN Thanksgiving week.

See you on the ice.

Its that time of year again!! I spent a two days in the the WI Rapids Area and got on the ice. The bite was decent we fished two different backwater areas, lots of small fish with some very nice fish mixed in. The Crappies were a bit slow, Gills were active, the walleyes were biting really well the pike were going crazy. I'm not sure how the ice will hold this weekend. Good Luck!

I plan on heading out this next weekend as well, I heard reports from 2-4 inches through out the Stevens Point area this past weekend. I'm chicken, a little thin for me.

A week of cold weather should really firm up the ice.

Tipdowns for crappies,

Riverfish

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Lunker, Let me know how you do. I will be in town sometime early January. We should hook up and chase some fish.

Sounds good joe, let me know when you'll be in town.

Hit up backwater north of town two days ago. A long walk but I got out there to where I was all by myself and did alright. Caught a ton of tiny crappies(3-5"), a few small perch, and a bunch of gills. Kept a few for dinner and the rest back in. Fish were very finicky, had to downsize to the smallest jigs I carry and a single spike to get them to commit. Fished in 5-6 FOW. Good to see what appears to be a good year class of small crappies for the future.

Was out yesterday on the WI river, 3:30-5:00pm. Out in the Galecke area, 6-7 feet of water. Marked fish, had 2 good bites, no fish. Lot of current, had to drill second hole to see jig on vex.

Anyone else fish this area, it was a first for me yesterday. I do plan to fish this more.

Was out on a popular backwater on wednesday.Fish were definitley there but finicky. Caught a ton of tiny crappies and lots of gills. Some nice fish. Kept a few for the pan. Downsizing presentation was a must. Biggest gill was over 9".

Out the last couple days off River road on the slough. Caught a ton of 4-5 inch crappies, must have been a great couple of year classes. Ended up keeping 5-6 each day in the 10 inch range. Most of the larger crappies came on minnows on tip downs. Most of the smaller fish came on plastics.

Was a great weekend teaching 7 year old son to jig and use a vex. Small crappies would chase jig fairly aggressively. He also caught a nice 14 inch walleye jigging and using the vex.

Been out a couple times the in the last week or so. Its been VERY slow compared to last year at this time. I think since ice has formed we have put 6 crappies on the ice, 6 walleyes (2 keepers) and a white bass. We have been hitting the same spot we were in last year that we had many great days for crappies. We cant seem to figure out whats going on. Maybe the high waters from this fall moved the fish around a bit, or possibly the much faster flow rate (we have been out fishing near the main river channel). Good luck and looking forward to a positive report. I think we are heading back to green bay on Saturday where there are actually fish to be caught and kept!

I too have noticed a lack of crappie production. A couple of my go to crappie spots have yielded nothing. These spots are also closer to the main channel, compared to back waters were I have still caught crappies.

I have heard that it is also slow at Lakeside, I do not fish the area, but have been told by a couple fisherman that it is slower this year.

Walleyes have been fairly consistent yet this year though, normal 14 to 16 inchers.

I am going to try a few new spots down river from Plover this weekend, looking for eyes and crappies.

Good luck everyone.

Sounds like its been slow everywhere from the people i talked to. There were dozens of vehicles out on lakeside today, which I find crazy because i have heard only bad reports from there lately,and don't think it's that great a spot to begin with.

With this is mind, I headed to what is probably my most dependable backwater spot this afternoon for a few hours. The numbers were definitley there but the size wasn't. Caught a 50/50 mix of crappies and gills, and caught 50+ in the 3 hours I was there. A total of 3(all gills) were keeper size. Everything else was potato chips. Fish were biting light and I did best downsizing to the smallest presentations I had. 5-6 fow. All fish released.

I tried below the Biron Dam on Saturday morning. I have never tried there before. Lots of small crappies and bluegills. Only stayed about 2 hours, got boring catching little ones. The vex was lit up the whole time, at various holes drilled.

Tried one other place I marked fall fishing, ice was a little hairy, so I did not get to the depth I wanted. Pretty good flow going through. Marked two fish in half an hour with no bites.

Sunday I didn't get out, finally got the flu bug going around with our kids.

Went off River Road this am, two 14 inch walleyes and a lot of 3-5 inch crappies. Hopefully in a few years there will be a great year class of crappies in the WI river in the Point area.

Any one else starting to get an itch for the walleye run?

First time out this year on open water. Biron flowage. Water temp 46-48. Went out with family for a couple of hours. 2 short walleyes caught, missed a few others. Fish are there, we were just anchored using lindy rigs with fatheads.

Good luck all.