• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wisconsin River Fishing Reports-Prairie duChien-Stevens Point-WI Dells

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hit a small area lake today. Did best in 17-20 fow for the gills. Caught a lot of gills, some nice ones including a couple over 9". Also caught one keeper size perch.

Had a couple of tip-ups out in 12-15 fow, had 4 flags. Caught one bass, one pike, and 2 drops.

All fish released.

Moving deeper only a couple of feet from where I started(15 fow) really made a big difference. Fish were holding towards the deeper end of a flat that is shallower than most of the lake and much more gradual drop off.

Slow lately. A few weeks ago we did pretty well with the big crappies, but things slowed down. Most reports I have heard lately are still slow, couple fish a day type action but nothing great. Seems like there are a lot more guys out on dubay this year as well, probably due to the Big Eau Pleine die off last spring.

Auggie.

The consensus from the DNR and the lake association was that agricultural runoff led to a dive in oxygen during the late winter and there was a huge die off. I have seen pictures, pretty bad. It probably doesn't help that the water level has been way down the last few years.

I can't remember about the aerator, very possible. I know they put one in last week. Kind of crazy, such a huge body of water needing an aerator. For anyone interested the Big Eau Pleine Citizens Organization(BEPCO) is the lake association. Use a search engine to find the home page, then click on 2009 photos to see pics of the kill last spring.

On to an other report. I fished a small area lake today. Caught a lot of small to decent gills, and one crappie. All in 15-20 fow on spikes and small marmooska jigs. Also had 4 or 5 flags on the tip up. Got tangled twice on a tree or crib on the bottom and lost the fish, iced 1 small pike, and a nice 29" fish, released. Small suckers produced the most flags, while a very large(8-9") sucker yielded the larger fish. All released except for a few gills for a meal.

Late report:

Was out this past weekend Saturday and Sunday morning on the WI River. Fishing was fair, caught a dozen or so small walleyes each morning along with 4-5 crappies each morning. Saturday also produced a catfish.

Stopped by the Warden on Sunday, he said it had been a slow weekend for other fisherman as well.

Good luck to all.

Report from 6-6-10.

Out south/west of Galecke Sunday morning. Caught 2 walleyes (one legal) and half a dozen smallmouths or so, one nice 15 incher, others were all small. All fish caught on a orange spinner on a bottom bouncer, except 2 smallies caught on a tube jig in the wood.

Only one other boat at the landing. Beautiful morning to be out.

Carp surfacing in the shallows, scares the heck out of ya.

Water temp 65 degrees.

Out this afternoon, water temp 66 degrees. Galecke area.

Kids caught a few smallmouths and bluegills in the wood.

4 short walleyes caught trolling bottoms and spinners and also bottoms and crankbaits.

Seemed like there was a lot of boating traffic for Thursday early afternoon.

1:00pm to 7:30pm. Biron Flowage. Water temp=74.

Rough day on the water, wind was blowin, white caps at times. Trolling spinners, did not produce fish. Fish were biting short.

Switched to spinner jigs, had better success. Pulled a dozen or so small eyes, no legals. Half a dozen smallies. Walleyes caught on live crawlers. Smallies caught on Gulp leaches.

Firon Flowage - Blue heron down to Rustys.

Was out the last couple of nights, trying different spots. Hoping to find some legal walleyes. No luck. Still finding 12-14 inch walleyes. Catfish seem to have picked up their activity, I won't turn down a fight with them, they are fun.

Also been catching, unintended, some larger bluegills on crawlers and jigs in 10-12 feet of water.

Was out last night on the WI river. Fishing was fairly good. Probably boated 15 walleyes, one being legal, but a lot of good 14 inchers. Quite a few smallies as well. And I caught 2 nice catfish, I think they were flatheads. Both flatheads wore out my arm, man they can fight.

All fish caught on a whistler or thumper jig and a live nightcrawler. Water depth was mainly 8-9 feet breaking off of 6 feet.

Side note:I saw a big sturgeon surface 50 feet from the boat, scared the .... out of me.

Good Fishermen of WI...I would like to get some feedback for fishing the area around Devils Lake State Park. What's it like? I won't have a boat, pulling my camper in from Mankato, MN and will have a couple of boys that love water more than your favorite lab!

I've been searching the state parks HSOforum but can't get any decent intel on whats in the area. We are competitive mind you, just like to spend time with the family fishing...

Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED! We'll be in the park camping from 6-9 July.

Out this morning early looking for eyes. Out of Galecke. Water temp 70 degrees.

6 small eyes all by 8:00 then it shut down. Current is still rolling pretty good. Tried trolling spinners and cranks after 8:00, nothing.