• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ALGOMA, WI - What a gorgeous day out of Algoma. A little chilly in the morning but the lake was pretty flat. There were a few charter boats out this morning with mixed results. The boats that found the pods of fish had pretty decent success. The others did not fare quite as well but still caught fish. Virtually all of the fish (Kings) caught once again were caught in 100+ FOW south of town. The best set up is still the fly dodger rigs with white and aqua being a favorite. Downriggers are still producing the most fish. Watch your fish finder and target the areas where you are marking the most fish.

Good luck to everyone that's heading over here.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was out this morning for a few hours training in a couple of new deckhands. Left the dock at 4:00 A.M., probably could of left a little earlier as there was a glow in the East as we were setting lines. Morning bite was not fast and furious but we managed to put a few in the cooler. We fished until 7:30 and boated a few more, all very nice fish. There was another 4 or 5 charter boats and a few private boaters out. The charter boats averaged around 6-10 fish and the two private boaters I talked to each had 3 fish. Not too shabby. All of our fish came in the 140 to 170 range south of town. Water temp averaged around 49 degrees. Center rigger with white and aqua down 135 took a few fish and the next best setup was an 18 color leadcore down the chute with a blue bubblegum flasher and aquafrog.

We have a chance of showeres starting this afternoon but the good news is that the wind is supposed to be around 5-10, but who knows.

The distress call that we all dread to hear or make went out this morning in Algoma. Pan Pan, Pan Pan, Pan Pan, this is the charter fishing vessel Fishin’ Magician I have spotted an overturned vessel out of the Algoma harbor and am rescuing the two survivors.

As Charter Captain Richie Stevenson and deck hand Kiefer Zenko were motoring out for the morning fish they spotted a cooler floating by and then saw a partially submerged green navigation light. Richie then made his way to the fly bridge and heard the survivors yelling for help as they were clinging to the bow of the boat. He was then able to maneuver alongside and hoist the two survivors into the boat.

The survivors were rescued from 47 degree water in a 4 – 5 ft chop. It was estimated that the fishermen were in the water for 10 – 15 minutes. The vessel they were in was a small 16 ft open fishing boat.

The good news is that the survivors were responsive when the ambulance checked them out on shore. They were then transported to the hospital for further observation. Both are doing fine, albeit a little shaken up and cold.

Please do not venture out in a small boat in these types of conditions, period!! As long as I am preaching; please don’t go out in foggy conditions if you do not have radar. One of our vessels actually was hit last year in the fog because the other boat did not have radar.

Now for the good news; the fishing on Saturday morning was pretty darn good. Most of the charter boats that were out all seemed to average about 10 – 14 fish still fishing that 120+ with riggers being the most productive. The afternoon fishing was slower. This morning the fishing was tough. It was cold, windy and tough to maintain speed in the rough conditions. The fish have moved closer to shore with the best action coming in the 60 to 80 ft level.

Probably one of the best catches you could make, nice work goes to you and your crew!

It always amazes me to watch some of the boats motor out when the water gets large while my crew and I decide to sit out the waves for another day.

I have a hard time understanding when 3 boats over 21' are telling some stubborn old guys in a 16 foot that they probably shouldn't go out when they still do anyways.

Use your head, and most of all use common sense, no fish is worth risking your life.

Well folks all of the charters had a fantastic day of fishing out of Algoma. I did not see many private boats out but the few I did see were all scooping fish. The weather was still a bit ugly but the Kings were definitely cooperating. The average numbers on the charter boats were from 14 to 30 fish!!! And all nice fish. We had two brutes that were just over 20lbs. Even the afternoon fish was pretty darn good with averages of 10 to 20 fish.

During the morning bite most of the fish were taken in the 60 to 80ft level both South and North of town. During the afternoon the fish moved a little deeper with my best action coming in the 100' level.

Most of the fish taken have been Kings with a few Lake Trout in the mix. Not many Steelhead yet but it's been a little rough so the high lines have been difficult to run.

Once again the majority of the fish have been biting on flasher fly combos on riggers, leadcores, dipsy's and weighted birds. You can't hardly go wrong with white and aqua or chrome and aqua.

The weather is supposed to turn much nicer for the next few days so it should be a good time to come out.

Have fun, be safe and good luck.

I heard there was a bit of excitement out that way and that the FM crew plucked a couple of folks from the water. Is this true? If so, kudos to you and your crew for helping out those in distress.

Tunrevir~

It was a great weekend weather wise out of Algoma and the fishing was pretty darn good. We had most of our boats out the entire weekend with some veryy nice catches. I did not hear of any limit catches but good numbers nonetheless. The fish are huge, I've never seen this many 4 year old fish being caught this early. On one of our trips out of the 15 fish caught 11 were 4 year olds with two weighing in at a solid 22 lbs!! I did most of my fishing south of town in 120' to 140' feet of water. Flashers and flys are still the preferred combination. The best flasher has been the blue bubblegum/chrome back followed by a pearl aqua fly 22 inches behind the flasher. During the afternoons your best bet is to start in about 100' and troll out to about 200' and then troll back in. In and out seems to be the ticket in the afternoons especially with the flat water and high light conditions. If you are getting the itch to get out here this looks like a good week to do that. The weather is supposed to be stable all week. The wave forecast is calling for 1 - 2 footers all week. If you are coming out get a hold of me and I'll give you the latest scoop.

Good Luck, Have Fun and Be Safe.

What is the expectation for July 2-9? Would everything be the same, but deeper?

What are the water temperatures? Last year when I was out, the water was a bit cold.

Thanks.

I'm trying to decide between Algoma and the Apostles.

Based upon what I'm seeing now I would expect that week to be pretty good. The fish may not necessarily be any deeper it really all depends on water temp and temp breaks. In a normal year, if there is such a thing we fish the 80' to 140' range all year. Mornings we typically start shallower and move out deeper as the sun rises. Water temps right now are in the low 50's which is a good thing. Not sure when you were out last year but we struggled to find cool water late in the summer. The surface temps literally went from the 50's to low 70's overnight. When the temp gets that warm the fish become lethargic and scatter to search for cooler temps. Let's hope the lake doesn't turn that turn that drastically this year. I would aslo say that the steelhead should be around in pretty good numbers by then which makes for a very fun outing. Salmon on your normal rigs and steelies on your high birds. There is nothing more exciting than watching a steelhead burst into the air after attacking your spoon that is running just below the surface. If you are looking for bigger fish and more of them I would definitely choose Algoma.

Please do not venture out in a small boat in these types of conditions, period!! As long as I am preaching; please don’t go out in foggy conditions if you do not have radar. One of our vessels actually was hit last year in the fog because the other boat did not have radar.

I heard the other boat was the one that was hit (from behind)? or was that not the case?

Nice work on the rescue, it's always good to hear a story that ends like that

I must first apologize for the lack of reports, been pretty busy with charters which is a good thing I guess. The fishing has been good to excellent and the weather the same other than the last couple of days. We had some fantastic Steelhead action prior to the wind coming up. I would expect that to heat up again once the wind calms down. Most of the Steelies were taken out deep, plus 300 f.o.w. Their favorite spoon to eat has been a copper spoon with a pink insert trolled 60-100ft behind a small yellow bird. Don't forget to use a single hook on your steelhead spoons, you will get far better hook ups. The salmon action has also been good with most of the catches inside of 160 f.o.w. Don't be afraid to get in the 60's especially in the morning and evening. Flasher and fly is still your best choice although some spoons have been working. If you are thinking about venturing out, this weekend is shaping up to be a good one. If you do come out don't be afraid to look me up for some tips. I am located on the south side of the Ahnapee river just East of the bridge closest to the lake.

We're on our way there tomorrow... fishing around Washington Island... but back to the question... I just talked to a friend whose been fishing around Gills Rock (Deaths Door) and said that fishing has been slow till just a couple days ago... Said they boated 18 fish yesterday morning and missed a bunch so "yes" they have arrived.... grin

I'm headed up this weds, be in Algoma by 8 and fishing by 830. Gonna run out of Algoma harbour Weds night and Thursday morning and then head up to Gils rock. We are taking the ferry over to washington island and have a cabin over there for the week. Got great reports from my buddy that was over last weekend. Two mornings, three guys, out by 4 and in by 6 with limits of kings. Crushed ice flasher and green/blue howie flys, pearl/wonderbread j-plugs, Proking spoons in green/glow and silver, blue dolphin, moonshine watermelon glow spoons were all good.

Tunrevir~

Well, just getting back online after a couple days of re-couping. Minus trailer issues going both ways, our trip was great, most of our focus was south of Bailey's. I was suprised to catch so many 4 YO this year, overall fishing was much better than last year in Algoma. Hot stuff to have on your boats would be anything glow blue, fish were caught on just about every rod I had from wire & fireline dipsey's to riggers and various spreads of lead. 20"-26" leads on the flies. Saturday boated us 14 fish, Sunday was ssslllloooowww, 2 fish in a short fishing day and well Monday, brought us a 20 fish day. One of our boats left with 53 fish over the 3 days using alot of the same presentations. Blueberry muffin J-plug was a producer for them. Spoon hits were 30' leads off the ball on glow blue 50/50 needlenose spoons. Booking another trip for beginning of August after that short weekend. Good luck out there!

Thanks for the report, I just picked up some blue glow fishlander spoons and j-plug in wonder bread glow

We start fishing next thursday morning at 3 am.

what kind of water temps did you have close to shore -60 fow?

what happened in the middle of the day?