• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sawyer-Rusk-Washburn County Fishing report

Water temps are warming up and so are the crappies. We were on Long Lake Saturday and the temps were from 52 to 55 and found some crappies in anywhere from 3 feet to 15 feet. We fished Nelson Lake Sunday and the temps ranged from 54 to 58 but we didn't find the crappies. We did catch some perch and bluegills but both ran on the small side.

With the walleye opener less than 2 weeks away, the water should be warmed up nicely. I'm kind of expecting to find them in the same areas that they'd normally be in late May.

Had to work yesterday but went out this morning and found the walleyes on a mid lake hump. We were throwing jigs up into 7 feet and dragging them down to 19. Got 4 walleyes and 3 came from the shallower water with the biggest (21") coming out a little deeper. A little chilly thismorning but not much wind unlike yesterday. It did start picking up just as we were leaving and they're saying 20mph winds this afternoon.

Was out this morning fishing walleyes and they were biting pretty good. My wife and I caught 8 in 2 hours with the largest 26". That one along with an 18 incher and 2 12 inchers are back in the lake and we kept 4 13 inchers. We were in 14 FOW along a drop off and on the edge of the weeds. We've been picking up a few here and there every morning we've been out but with the rain this morning, they seemed exceptionally hungry.

Still finding a few crappies in shallow but it's mostly bluegills now getting ready for the spawn.

Muskie season opens in our neck of the woods on Saturday and there should be nice weather for the weekend. They're predicting 80's and sunny both Saturday and Sunday.

If you're going out this weekend, there's a new rule for boating in Wisconsin that I think you should be aware of:

Quote:
A new rule prohibits Wisconsin boaters from operating their boats at speeds greater than ‘slow-no-wake’ within 100 feet of lake shorelines, and it applies to all lakes, including flowage lakes. This is in addition to current law prohibiting boaters from operating at speeds greater than slow-no-wake within 100 feet of docks, rafts, piers, and buoyed restricted areas. Slow-no-wake is the minimum speed required for maintaining steerage.

Good luck out there everyone!!!

Fished the Flambeau and the Chip over near Ladysmith this past weekend. Caught a mixture of pike, walleye and smallies and a couple channel cats thrown into the mix. The fish were tight to the shorelines with the exception of the walleye and the channel cats. Highlight fish of the weekend was a 20" smallie. All fish caught using artificials.

Tunrevir~

Back to the Flambeau this past weekend. The river was at near spring flow levels and dropping. Looks like it had been at floodstage within the past two weeks. Lots of floating debris, grass wood ect. Fish seemed to prefer the shallow water flats around islands and right up tight to the banks next to wood and rock cover. Worked top waters and plastics and found walleye, pike and smallies all willing to hit various baits. Saw a few sturgeon jumping, no muskies or cat action this trip.

Tunrevir~

Went out to the Chippewa Flowage yesterday with my grandson and a friend of his and caught 15 nice bluegills. Found them in some brush and lilypads. We tried a few spots for crappies with no luck.

This morning I headed out to Grindstone and picked up 2 walleyes and that was it. I was on center bar where we've been getting them all summer but it looks like they've moved off there. Have to try some different spots but due to work, it'll have to wait a few days.

BTW, if you're coming up this way this weekend, AAA Sports in Spooner still has large leeches. They said they can't get the jumbos anymore but the large size I got yesterday were pretty decent size.

Good to know on the leeches Snooze! I was over on the lower Flambeau this weekend near the confluence with the Chip and the walleyes, pike and smallies were all willing biters. Fish went for smaller countdown raps, twistertails and paddletail grubs cast to shorelines. Weeds have died back and water levels were high for this time of year. The water was very dark with visibilty about 1.5'

Tunrevir~

hey snooze , i have a place on the flowage ! , i'll be heading up this weekend , so how bad is the ice ? did you walk out from the launch past sawdust island ? maybe after this week it will get better . i usually chase the panfish - its a great body of water and not many people on it in the winter with so many lakes around. did really well this fall on the crappies - but will they be in the same spots ? you never know --

We were right in front of the landing and there was around 3 inches there, either side of it there was 2 and it was cracking with each step. I'd have thought with those couple of cold nights we got a few days ago that there would be plenty everywhere but there's just enough snow on it to keep it from forming. Doesn't help that it got up to 41 yesterday and hasn't been below freezing since then.

We're not suppose to get the snow that Minny's going to get and with some colder temps coming you might be okay for this weekend. Be careful out there though, the ice all looks the same with the snow on it but varies a lot from spot to spot.

Sorry I haven't reported on the ice conditions lately but between work and the lousy weather, I haven't been out. I did talk to a friend who was out on Grindstone last Thursday and he said they found from 3 to 5 inches. He wouldn't tell me where on the lake he was because they caught some walleyes, had they got skunked, he would've told me. grin But that was before this latest snow fall. We only got around 8 inches so it wasn't as bad as some places but I'm sure it didn't help the ice conditions.

I've got to work the next 2 days but I'll be checking and hopefully fishing this weekend and I'll give an update then.

Got out on LCO tonight and only managed one walleye. Did get a couple of nice northerns though (probably 4 and 6 pounds.) Found 5 to 8 inches of ice and snowmobiles and 4 wheelers are getting around pretty much everywhere out there. Kind of wait and see how much snow we get tonight as far as navigating out there with a 4 wheeler though.

Went out there again tonight, 2 walleyes (16 and 23 inches) and 1 northern. Ice thickness was about the same as last time out with a little more snow and a little more slush but 4 wheelers and snomobiles still getting around pretty good out there. People with 4 wheelers were having a little tougher time but if they chose their routes, the going wasn't too bad.

There was a couple of guys about 200 yards away from me and right at prime time they started hooting and hollering. I'm guessing they caught a pretty nice walleye but couldn't see them well enough to tell for sure.

Been getting a few walleyes at night the last few days (too hot to fish during the day.) This morning my wife and I went out and caught 4 on a deeper hump (tops off at 17 feet) and also caught 4 bass. Been finding water temps around 74 to 77 on the larger lakes. Crawlers or leeches, didn't seem to make a difference. Didn't try minnows, just too hard to keep them alive for any lenght of time.

Wow, been over a year since I posted on here. But then the more things change, the more they stay the same. Still getting walleyes in the early morning hours in 15 to 18 FOW along the weeds with a slip bobber, plain red hook and a leach on both Grindstone and LCO but mostly Grindstone. My wife and I caught 4 this morning but as soon as the sun comes up the little perch move in.

Talked to a friend of mine that fishes out there (Grindstone) and he says he's getting walleyes during the day in 27 to 35 FOW dragging around a crawler harness. Water temps were 78 to 79 but this morning I notice it had dropped to 76.

Haven't tried any other lakes just because they're the closests one to us and if they're biting there, no need to travel.

Good luck out there and be safe!!!

Haven't got much to report, I sold the boat a month ago and haven't been out but the good news is my wife authorized me getting a new one but it won't be until spring.  We'll be going to the Minneapolis boat show in January and putting in our order shortly after that.

I did just talk to a friend of mine and he said he's been getting walleyes in shallower water the last week in the evenings along drop-offs and weed beds using a jig and minnow. My son in law has also been doing pretty good trolling cranks lately. They both agreed that they're moving into their fall patterns and are starting to get a little more active.

Good luck out there and stay safe!!!