• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

And he said, let the rivers run red....

Went out with other targets in mind today, but couldn't pass up a couple of these shots of a creek near my place. This creek runs this color year 'round. Know why? I'll give you the answer at the end of the post.

RR1.jpg

RR2.jpg

These were my intended photo ops today - small purple fringed orchids.

PF1.jpg

PF3.jpg

PF4.jpg

And the answer. Living near the town of BABBITT (which is defined as a low grade iron ore), this creek is fed by springs which flow from some pretty intense ore pockets. The oxidized ore is red and the water is redistributing it.

Thanks, I have been thinking about buying a wide angle lens for a while now so I can play around with some scenery shots. The canon 17-40 grabbed my attention because of the reviews it gets and price tag isn't bad. Its great to find out that it is the lens you are using for these shots. I still have my Rebel XT sitting around not being used and thought about putting it on there so I can carry both cameras around when I go.

Quote:
The canon 17-40 grabbed my attention because of the reviews it gets and price tag isn't bad.

The 17-40 was the first L-glass that I bought. I've never regretted it. It is my most versatile lens and probably use that one more than any other. Portraits, group shots, landscapes and even some great close-ups (wouldn't quite call them macros). You'd love the lens. Only downside is that at f/4, it's a bit slow inside, but with a little strobe work, I can live with it!