Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Panfish Killer

Any pointers on getting a dog to obey?

9 posts in this topic

I have a half brittny half english setter, 8 mo. old. Will not obey. Do I just need to give her more time? Pretty good in the house, but outside she likes to run and not return when called. She loves chasing birds. I live on a farm with many phesants around the area. Thanks for any help.

Also not a lot of time to spend on her, but I try. only a few nights a week.

time is what it is all about more the better. you need to put her on a 50 foot check cord let her run but call her back and pull that check rope in until she is back at your feet. you need to do this over and over until she knows what the word come or here means. Do this in the yard for awhile until she comes to you , she sounds good and birie keep working with her on the cord

Have you gone through basic obedience with the dog? One of the first things we started working on with our dog is getting a fairly reliable recall. He's only 5-6 months old so as you can imagine he doesn't always listen but more often then not.

What pointer wrote is excellent advice. Put a cord on her and make her come to you no matter what. When she has that down then transition to the eCollar if you have one.

Not sure what training you have done, but I am assuming not much at this point based on your post.

IMO, get yourself a book (many option listed in one of the posts at the top of this forum). Most training programs will have a section on basic obedience. Start working through the training program step by step. Sit, come, heal, etc. You may have some of these down already and may be able to work through those parts fairly quickly, but follow though the program step by step and make sure your dog responds well to one command before moving on. Don't introduce multiple new things in the same session. Concentrate on one command and once the dog understands and responds well to the command on a check cord, you can then move on to conditioning [that command] to an e-collar. Check cord at all times until then, don't give a command you can't enforce.

It tough not to rush through training and test what the dog can do, but take your time and it will pay off in the end. You would be surprised what 10 min a day can accomplish.

311Hemi's advice is great. Also, if it's available to you, take a basic obedience course or two. It will teach you more than the dog, probably.

Number 1 rule is never give a command you cannot or will not enforce. That just teaches the dog that it doesn't have to obey. "Come" can be a very difficult command to teach. Some dogs are better than others--our dog picked up on many things very quickly, but really struggled with "come".

Start by making it a game. Walk with her on a leash, then turn and run in the other direction and say "come". She'll naturally want to follow and chase you. Work your way up from there.

One other thing to avoid is repeating commands. Say it once, then make the dog do it if it doesn't do it on it's own. You need the dog to learn that it needs to react when you give a command.

And most of all, spend a lot of time practicing. Every day. 15-30 minutes is all it takes. I like to work a lot of it into our daily walks, especially when it's nice out. Stop at the park and work on sit stays, practice heeling, etc.

Good luck!

I'VE TRAINED 4 POINTING DOGS THAT ALL WERE AND ARE PHENOMENOL FIELD DOGS THANKS.