• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Adventures in lure making #2 - first wooden lure!

Well I wanted to experiment with carving wood and airbrushing and through-wire construction, so there were lots of firsts with making this lure!

It's carved from basswood using some basic hand tools and a dremel. Through wire construction gives it a little bit more toughness against big fish and preventing stress issues with the joints.

It's far from perfect, but I had fun making it and learning a bit about the tools at my disposal. The next one will be worked on fast and furious and will be tons better.

dscf1350b.jpg

dscf1353e.jpg

dscf1357o.jpg

dscf1360p.jpg

dscf1372.jpg

I did bathtub test. The tail section has some very nice wobble to it, but the head and middle section don't have too much movement on a straight crank. Not ideal but at least I got the tail waggin'!

the lure is weighted just barely buoyant(not by design, by accident, it was intended to be a slow sinker), with the tail end being fairly buoyant, the middle being neutral-ish, and the head being a definite sinker. What this means is that the lure sits at about a 20 degree angle down, when sitting still.

I ended up popping a lip onto this lure, and it still doesn't have much head waggle but it gives it some downforce on a straight crank or quick tug. In addion, the weight in the head causes the lure to turn 90% if you instantly give slack during a fast retrieve or after a quick tug. The net effect is that with good rod movement and retrieval skills and knowing how the bait moves, you can make it dive & wag the tail, stop and pivot, dive and wag the tail again, stop and pivot, and then slow float to the surface and present an interesting head-down angle to any fish that might be watching.

The short of it is that I think I can make this lure catch some fish laugh