Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Leff

Got my first!!!!!

16 posts in this topic

Well, I've slowly but surely been delving into the world of flathead fishing and tonight it finally happened! I got my first, and it's by far the biggest fish I have ever caught.

I went out by myself and right at dark it happened... I saw my rod bounce and I watched the line tighten and move up river. I let out a little slack and once it tightened up, I slammed it home. After a nice little battle I got it in and put a tape on it. It went 40in x 25in, so that calculates to 31.4lbs. I think I set the bar pretty high for myself, huh? lol!

I really wish I had someone there to snap some pics, but I'll have to do with the ones I got with my phone.

Thanks everyone for the tips you post on the site!

Here she is!

0808092123b.jpg

Safely released!

0808092126a.jpg

Awesome good job on your first Flat and Great job on your biggest fish

Great job on your first flathead. That is going to be a good mark for you to beat. I have only caught two so they are rare lol. Great job and the pictures were good, thanks for sharing them......

Nice Flat. cool...especially for your first!

Yep, that's how you get hooked. Good luck enjoying any other type of fishing now laugh

Nice one!

I always love seeing fish caught at a boat launch, everyone else is buzzing up and down the river and there are fish right there laugh

congrats on the first and it only gets more obsessive from here on out.

it only gets more obsessive from here on out.

Understatement !!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome fish let there be many more to come

Nice work Leff. Great to see her swim for another day.

Glad to see a beginner Flathead fisherman understanding the importance of catch and release. That's a dandy first fish man!

Thanks all!

It was quite fun batteling with a fish of that caliber. They definitely have some shoulders on 'em!

I'm a steelhead/lake trout guy at heart, so that is where my true addiction/obsession lies. However, as long as I'm livin down is these parts, I might as well take up some catin'!

I also am no stranger to C'P'R. I know the importance of selective harvest and how it takes fish a long time to grow to maturity. And there is no way in h-e-double hockey sticks I would consider eating anything out of the MN River. wink

---------

I was out again last night and lost one! Grrrrrrrr, I HATE losing fish! But I at least found a good spot and it seems that right at dusk is the time to be there. Hmmmmm, guess I'll try it again tonight. smile

Congrats Leff on your first. It won't be you last.

I was out last night for a few hours and proceeded to lose not 1, but 2 nice fish! Bassturds are pretty smart..... one took me right into the debris on the bank and forced me to break off and the other got me tangled into a log or rock or something. A buddy I was with also lost 1 due to shaking the hook. Good night, yet disappointing!