• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wild turkey with white head.

jigginjim

As I drove thru Hanover today, I noticed a small flock of young wild turkeys. 1 was a typical colored hen, the other looked like the head and fronhalf od bird was white or very little colored. My cell phone camerea would not get a good photo of bird.

I've heard them referred to as "smoke" or "smoke phase" birds. My friend the fish cop tells me they are highly prized trophies in some areas of the country.

I've seen a number of them in parts of South Dakota, but have never pulled the trigger on one myself.

Here it is right from the NWTF HSOforum:

Myth #3: Silver-phase turkeys are a result of domestic turkeys joining a flock in the wild.

Fact: Silver-phase turkeys are wild and do not come from domestic turkeys.

Some hunters believe silver-phase turkeys are a result of domestic turkeys mixing with a wild flock, but silver-phase turkeys "are just as wild as their bronze brothers and sisters," said NWTF Mid-Atlantic States Regional Biologist Dowd Bruton. Consider the coloring just a genetic anomaly. "We often hear that they're `white turkeys,' but when you actually get your hands on one you'll see they have a silver and black tint whereas a typical Eastern wild turkey will be bronze and black."

Was seeing a smoke colored bird this spring. All that saw it said it was a hen, turns out its a jake. Hope to see it as a 2 yr old. Won't be will a gun in my hand since I don't that area but sure many will be after him.

DonBo - nice job adding the NWTF facts!

I'm guessing it was the same flock that I see almost on a daily basis. I saw them last year in my back yard a lot and one of the hens was bright white(doesn't look silver) and just today I watched a little one with a white head feeding in a field near by with 11 of her friends.

i believe these turkeys are cross bred wild/domestic. thats why there is two in one pic. I also believe that they are to be removed, as there is no closed season on them. i'd check with a co, but i believe they are not something you want. it prohibits the natural reproduction of wild turkeys. so, if i remember correctly just shoot them! check first though, i'd hate to apologize for someone gettin fined. the same goes for cinnamon, or brown turkeys. maybe the cinnamon ones are the cross bred turkeys? not, sure, i'd look into it further.

Where we hunt in SD we have around 7 off them now.First year hunting there was only one white lead hen.We can take hens during the spring season where I'm hunting but was not able to get one last spring she stayed on private property.Very cool to see even if not natural breeding.

I'm guessing it was the same flock that I see almost on a daily basis. I saw them last year in my back yard a lot and one of the hens was bright white(doesn't look silver) and just today I watched a little one with a white head feeding in a field near by with 11 of her friends.

I had 13 birds cross in front of me in St. Michael after I dropped my compost off. None where white, but a lot of birds none the less.