• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

DNR Announces 2009 Limits and Seasons

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dropping the limit would probably result in a drop in duck stamp sales and hurt the acquisition of habitat...

"Well I can't take home 6 anymore so I will just sit at home and pout about it by not taking any."

I don't think so.

But you are right, increasing habitat is the key. and I would be all for closing off some areas for hunting.

I'm pretty sure that cutting back the limit to 3 ducks a day would make people not buy a stamp. I would still buy one, but I bet a lot of people wouldn't. I can't explain that mindset but I know its out there

Here is a view from another State sounds like Montana is right inline with MN with the exception of our longer season and more GEESE!!!. We have the Central Flyway & Pacific out here below is central the regs.

Montana 2008 Regs for the Central Flyway:

Ducks (Including Mergansers)

Bag limit: The daily bag limit is 6 ducks (including mergansers). The daily bag limit may

contain no more than 5 mallards of which no more than 2 may be females, 2 wood ducks,

2 redheads, 1 pintail, 1 canvasback, and 2 scaup.

The possession limit may not exceed twice the daily bag limit of any species and sex.

Open Season:

• Sep 27 - Sep 28 – Only youth ages 12-15.

• Oct 4 - Nov 11

• Nov 12 - Jan 8 – Standard bag limit excluding Pintails & Canvasbacks.

Coots

Bag Limit: 15 daily and 30 in possession.

Open Season:

• Oct 4 - Jan 8

Geese

Daily limit: 6 light geese (Snow, Blue, Ross’) and 4 dark geese (all other

geese).

The possession limit is twice the daily bag limit.

Open Season:

• Oct 4 - Jan 16

Common (Wilson’s) Snipe

Bag limit: 8 daily and 16 in possession.

Open Season:

• Sep 1 - Dec 16

Sandhill Cranes - Over-the-Counter Permit

Persons wishing to hunt Sandhill Cranes in the Central Flyway must obtain a free permit

available from the Bowdoin National Wildlife Refuge; Medicine Lake National Wildlife Refuge;

Fish, Wildlife & Parks regional headquarters in Glasgow, Billings, Miles City; or the Fish,

Wildlife & Parks offi ce in Helena.

Exception 1: That area south and west of I-90 is closed to the hunting of Sandhill

Cranes.

Exception 2: Hunting by special permit only in Wheatland and Meagher counties and that

portion of Sweetgrass County north of I-90.

Bag limit: 3 daily and 6 in possession.

Open Season:

• Sep 27 - Nov 23

Sandhill Cranes - Special Drawing Permit

All Sandhill Crane hunting in Wheatland and Meagher counties and that portion of

Sweetgrass County north of I-90 is only by special permit. Consult local FWP offi ce or

view the Webless Migratory Birds Hunting Regulations online at fwp.mt.gov for permit

information.

Tundra Swan

Hunting only by special permit. Apply by Sept 4. Must apply in only one fl yway.

Bag limit: 1 Tundra swan.

684-01:500 permits.

• Oct 4 - Jan 8

• Applicants must possess a current year conservation license.

• Hunters may apply for a swan special permit online at fwp.mt.gov or mt.gov OR over

the counter at any FWP regional or area offi ce no later than September 4, 2008. All

applications must be received by September 4, 2008. A special permit application may

be downloaded from the FWP HSOforum. Send to Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks, Attn:

Swan Special Permit Drawing, PO Box 200701, Helena, MT 59620-0701.

• Surplus Central Flyway swan special permits will be issued on a fi rst-come, fi rst-served

basis after September 21. Surplus permits will be issued only at the Helena FWP

headquarters and FWP regional headquarters in Billings, Miles City, and Glasgow.

Hunters also have the option of requesting a surplus swan special permit through the

mail by submitting their name, address, phone number, and ALS number to Montana

Fish, Wildlife & Parks, PO Box 200701, Helena, MT 59620-0701. A surplus swan special

permit application may be downloaded from the FWP HSOforum or may be homemade.

Later Chris

Oh yeah, I am sure that mindset is out there but I think it is an exceedingly small population of waterfowl hunters. I don't see a lot of us giving it up when we have a few hundred dollars of deeks, a $1000 duck boat and trailer, a $150 pair of waders, a $300-1500 shotgun, and few hundred bucks worth of max-4.

I do see a LOT of complaining if they cut the limit in half though.

I would still buy my stamp. I have never had a limit ducks, I just don't need that many.

Out of all this on here all i see is people [PoorWordUsage] off because they cant shoot more ducks to go home and brag about to their friends and family, How many ducks do you need to shoot to make you happy? I bet some on here would like to see a 12 bird limit! I only shoot what I need and judging by the last 10 years in my area its been hard to come close to your limit anyway so whats the big problem?

They should really take down the 2008 waterfowl regs from the DNR HSOforum. Or at least post them as the 2008 regs, the 2009 book is out, so one could assume that the other is current, when it is not. Waiting to see about the water restrictions for SEMN, that will change the scope of things significantly. Will people be able to hunt the Mississippi?

I would be in favor of the 3 woodduck limit with only one hen in the limit like mallards

I dont belive that we would desicrate the woodie population either as these birds are among some of the first to leave on there journey south. as for mallards I agree with the way it is. cutting the limit would hurt the states revanue I think and dont think that they will do that but if its done I would still buy stamps even if you dont really get the stamp anymore unless you pay extra for that to be sent out.

Quote:
cutting the limit would hurt the states revanue

now i am not pick on you or what you said. but you comment about hurting the revanue is right. the only thing the DNR seems to care about is that "ALL MIGHTY DOLLAR". My friend was a bio teacher for Howerd Lake schools and he worked for the DNR for 4 summers. he said the dnr changes rules and regs around for them to make for money not what is good for the environment but what is good for there pocket book.

I was fan of 3 woodie limit, but really doesn't matter too much, for reasons others said, pro or con.

For any of us that hunted back in the 70's and 80's we saw really great and really horrible seasons, and had one season where they closed us down totally - no duck hunting. That was horrible.

So my first thing I always like is the 60 day season. It means we have time, even though often it freezes on many of us, shortening it on us. Second thing is anything 4 duck limit or better is great. I think most of us don't shoot limits of 6 ducks often, but just knowing we "could" make it feel good. Remembering the 3 duck limits makes me smile that we have more "potential" now, even if we rarely get them all smile

I also like that cans are back, and two bluebills. We grew up diver hunting, and when you don't even have a chance at a can, it just doesn't "seem right". I recall setting dekes and having bills landing all around us, just about every morning - must have been about '88 when the rest of the country was in drought, not too long ago.

Looking forward to a good year, and hopefully we all (generally speaking) can help out (long term) how we can to get MN habitat back to producing more ducks... smile

Amen to that elwwood ! I read in the paper or outdoor news some of Dennis Andersons ideas about how to make hunting better. I do not agree with him on some issues. It sounds like he wants to do away with youth waterfowl day. I think this is a step in the wrong direction. I took both of my sons every year I could and they enjoyed it each time. Now that they are 18 and 17 I am asking friends if they have any kids I can take. It is a fantastic way to introduce youngsters to waterfowling! The idea that all the ducks bug out because of it is crazy ! And what about other states that have early teal seasons. Are they devoid of ducks and geese the rest of the year? Of course not! As much as I hate to admit it because I work construction and can get out in the afternoon I think he has a good point about the early closing time keeping ducks around longer. I hunt Carlos Avery because it is only a couple miles from the house and believe me I have seen it all ! These fools don't realize that the later you shoot the later the ducks come out every night. The late shooters had them almost completely nocturnal last year.I believe stiffer penalties and more enforcement would help greatly. I have called tip on late shooters only to have them tell ranger rick it was someone else and get away with it ! They were the only ones there!! Calling in the dark {PM} muzzle flashes a full 40 minutes after legal! All you have to say is "not me". They should have lost truck,boat guns in one swoop.

Gotta stop my blood pressure is going up fast! I would do it all even if the limit was just one duck !! Can't wait !