• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dodge Dakota Climate Control Problems

Kind of a long story, so I'll try to keep it brief. I have an 2002 4.7L Dakota. Two months ago my blower resistor went bad and I had no air pushing through the vents. I was getting some condensation through the air vents. Changed blower resistor and got ice cold AC, condensation stopped, etc. About two weeks ago, I started getting condensation, especially coming from the defrost on the dash. Last week, the fan speeds stopped working and I could only get it to work on high. At the same time, every time I turned on the fan (heat or A/C) I would hear a squealing noise. As a friend said, "Sounds like there is a Rooster in your truck." I was also having a lot of condensation. On Monday, I went to work, and no A/C. It was ice cold on Sunday and now nothing. I also do not have the squealing noise coming from below the dash on the passenger side. Anyone have an idea of what is ailing this vehicle? I'm really hoping it is not the A/C compressor, because I hear that is a pricey repair. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Have you been or are you low on coolant?

If the squeak sounds like it is coming from the blower area the bushings in the motor are probably getting bad. This could cause the resistor to go bad due to the extra amperage required to trun the blower.

I would be more worried that the evap core is leaking. Much more than a compressor to replace!

airjer - thanks for the response. Checked the coolant level and it was good. I'm not real familiar with all of the parts associated with the cooling system of a vehicle, but if the evap core is leaking, would that be the reason for the condensation coming from the vents? Prior to the A/C not working, I was having condensation issues, but not constantly. I also noticed condensation problems after rain.

Sounds like good advice from airjer. I have an 02 Dakota as well. Replaced the resitor block with loss of all but high fan speed. The newer block appeared to be much more robust. About 1 year ago the blower motor had to be replaced, which luckily was under our extended warranty. No problems since then.

Good luck.

airjer - a few questions.

1. Do you think I need to replace the blower motor or is it repairable? And what is your guess on cost for the part?

2. I've been getting some water on the floor on the passenger side. It was dripping from the area of the blower motor and resistor. Is that from a clogged hvac drain, and if so, do I need to unclog it on the underside of the vehicle? Additionally, can this cause the A/C to stop functioning?

Thanks for your help!

If you pull the motor, replace it. You figure it gets as much time running as your engine. As far as the condensation, if the heater core is leaking you would have fluid on the passenger side floor board and also an odor and "film" coating the windshield. You did not indicate this so I agree that the drain is possibly plugged. It is located between the body and front fender on the passenger side. If it is plugged and allowed moisture to hit the fan motor this could cause the noise that you were experiencing. The motor is usually pulled from the engine side.

[Note from Admin. Please read forum policy before posting again, Thank You]

I just wanted to provide an update. I checked the coolant and it was empty. I checked last month and it was good. Pumped some coolant into the system and can hear it leaking. I located the leak and put my finger over it and could hear it stop. I think I'm going to start with fixing the leak and see where it goes. I'll also be replacing the blower motor.

Thanks guys!