• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

200 hpdi vs f225

cranelake

I'm looking at a new boat for next year.I've narrowed the motor option down to a hpdi 200 hp (475lbs) and a f225 yamaha (583lbs).The boat I'm looking at is a lund pro-v 1975.I looked at other motor options but the yammi dealer is right next door so that's why I'm going with yamaha.All the new motors sure look nice.I know the 4 stroke will be less noisy but how are they for a hole shot.I've got a v-max 150 hpdi right now and have zero complaints (excellent motor).Any one with a hpdi 200 please chime in.Thanks in advance.Goodluck to everyone the rest of the year.

cranelake,

I have a 225 HPDI on my bass boat and before that had a 225 efi yammi on my walleye boat. Both excellent motors with incredible holeshot. I have fished out of a friends Lund with a 4 stroke 200 yammie and it had a nice hole shot as well. If you do a majority of your fishing trolling I would definitely go with the 4 stroke. If you are a pan fisherman or bass guy I would get the HPDI. Just personal preference - I prefer the 2 strokes.

That's a tough call... since the 4 stroke has 225 more HP you can't make any argument about weight on a 4 stroke vs 2 stroke and perceived power differences.

Fuel Economy will be about the same, top end speed will be similar and if it's propped correctly, I don't think you're going to notice much difference in holeshot.

When it comes down to this comparison there's a couple of things to consider in my opinion...

Cost of Ownership - One oil change per year on 4 stroke vs buying oil for the injection system on the 2 stroke (and the convenience of only having to fill gas each trip instead of filling gas and checking oil)

Noise - the 4 stroke will be noticeably quieter, especially at idle.

Good luck in your decision!

marine_man

My new boat/motor is a 250 HPDI and the old motor was a four stroke. Very different motors in a lot of respects, but my first hand experience and two cents are that they both have advantages. The HPDI to me was suprisingly very clean burning and the idle is more of a rumble and is incredibly smooth at all RPM's. Not an old 2-smoker at all. The hole shot is powerful.

With the 4-stroke the idle was very quite and the holeshot was fine. At WOT, both motors growl but you can easily carry a conversation with both. If costs were equal and no object, the 4-stroke would be my preference only for the reason of oil. Both run about the same efficiency but the HPDI cost per hour is more with the injector oil at $30 per gallon. However, with marginal use over the summer and if the dealer does your oil changes you could even that cost out even with only a couple oil changes per year. DYI cost for an oil change runs about $50.

You may want to try to get a test ride in both before you make your choice. Some lunds models with the ips hull ride drier with less weight. 100lbs less transom weight can be the difference between geting on top of the waves, rather than plowing through them. My choice would be to upgrade to a 225 hpdi, otherwise, stick with the 4 stroke if you plan on doing any trolling with the outboard.

Thanks for all of the replies so far - keep them coming.It's nice to have idea's that I haven't thought of brought up.The main reason for not comparing a 225hpdi to the f225 is anything over a 200hp hpdi you have to get a 20" shaft and the new lunds have a 25' transom.Unless I've read something wrong.I wish yammi did make a v-max 225 in a 25' but I don't think they do.Anyone know when the 2010 yammi's come out.Wonder if they'll change anything.Thanks again!

I've been in a couple of boats with 200 HPDIs on them and I really like that motor.

My opinion is that in that HP range of motor I would rather have an DFI 2-stroke instead of a 4-stroke, unless having the quieter motor is important too you.

No, you can't get the big HPDI in a 25" shaft. You will probably have just as hard a time finding a Lund dealer to order that boat without being pre-rigged with a Merc as finding a 25" new HPDI. For the record I believe they did make them up to 2004 or somewhere around there.

I regularly hear of 4 strokes with several thousand hours on them and never needing a rebuild/new power head. You rarely hear of a DFI that can claim the same. That's one of the reasons why if I was looking at 2 equal used boats I'd go for the 4 over the 2 every time.