• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Senko worms

Swimbait2009

Hey guys,

Just fished with these bad boys for the first time this afternoon. I was told to cast it to your desired "fishy" spot and allow it to sink to the bottom. Follow with a twitch or two, and then a slow pausing retrieve to allow it back to the bottom occasionally. Is this about right? I caught two bass on Bald Eagle this afternoon in a few hrs fishing. I guess you could say I was doing something right since I caught fish, but just wondering if there's more I can do with these worms.

Thanks for any advice!

-Seth

There is no wrong way to fish a senko! There's a reason why ppl love them... THEY CATCH FISH! Most popular would be to texas rig them or wacky. I'm sure the guys that use these more often then me will shine in.

Swimbait,

The nice thing about senkos vs. other plastic worms is that they are dense enough that you can cast them far without weight. The nice slow fall you get with a senko t-rigged with a larger hook drives the fish nuts. You'll have to add weight if it's windy of if you want to punch it through thick weeds, but I fish them weightless for the most part.

As Katman said, fishing them wacky style (with the hook through the center) is deadly too.

I was fishing the 5" variety with a size 1/0 hook. Can I use the same hook wacky style, or is there a better option?

There are wacky rig specific hooks, o-rings, etc.. but you can do the same thign with just a hook through the center of the senko. The rings will save you a few more fish and the specific hooks sometimes have weights and/or a weedless hook.

I agree that fishing a Senko is a great way to go. Some tips I've learned (that work for me anyway) are using the correct hook. I like the Gamakatsu circle hooks. Great hook-ups and you don't need a heavy hook-set. I also like using hi-vis line. I usually "feel" the smaller fish but the big ones have been just picking up the Senko and running with it. Many times it is hard to "feel" that so it's a big advantage if you can see your line moving. There is another thread on here about losing Senkos. I think we concluded that using a piece of heat shrink is a good way to rig Senkos. Otherwise using the o-ring idea seemed to be popular too. I work my Senkos by doing the traditional rise-and-fall, or letting them sit on the bottom and twitching them, or anything in between. Like previously mentiond, it's hard to work a Senko wrong. I've been kinda cheap and started going with Senko knock-offs. Still have pretty good luck and I don't have enough data to say Senkos out perform others for me. My best outting this year has been with the YUM Dingger. But who knows, maybe it would've been even better with the Senko. I do like the "feel" of the Senkos better than others though. OK, I've babbled enough.

I love to fish senkos, I always fish 'em wacky-rigged, and I've been using VMC "drop shot" hooks.. Pulled in a 44'' musky on one even making full use of slightly higher drag on braided line, hook was 100% up to the task.

I'll often do a 3-cast pattern.. cast and let it sink, jig once, let it sink, jig once, etc back to the boat.

Followed by a 2nd cast where I let it sink, 3 quick jigs followed by a shorter pause, repeat back to the boat.

3rd cast is quick jigging at the very top of the water, with a 3-5 second pause once I get halfway back to the boat, and a pause again when I get close to the boat to perform a visual watching for followers chasing the faster moving lure.

I agree with all above - I use Gamakatsu Finesse Weedless 2/0 Circle hooks wacky-rigged. No bad way to fish them. I would say they (senkos) are the best, but others are very close and much cheaper. My order of preference is:

1. Senko

2. Yum Dinger

3. GM Knock-offs (Trick Stix I think)

I seem to do about the same on all 3 of those, however as stated the weight and feel of the senko is real good for casting. I end up using Yum Dingers the most though, due to cost. There is my $.02

Been carrying an apple picker in the boat when bassing. Great for scooping up break offs. Save a lot of lures and clean up a few beer cans while working the shallows. Also pick up lots of plastic baits. I assume they fall off and not tossed in but tire of seeing them everywhere. Nice going out the next morning without seeing old white baits laying on the bottom all the time. Someone looses a lot of white salamanders on the old mans lake.

Carry the picker to retrieve expensive buzzbaits (hopelessly addicted to the WHOOSH and fish flying out of the water!) end up cleaning the lake. Anyone carry anything to pick these things up, seem to get lost a lot? I'd rather pick them up then look at them.

I use the Bass Pro Shops Stik-O's and really like them. You get like 20 of them in a pack for about $4. Is the Senko brand really worth it? Not afraid to spend the dough but I like the Stik-O's so I wondering if the Senkos are that much better.

I have bought lots of kinds and they all seem to catch fish for me. The actual senkos seemed to tear easily so i buy other kinds becasue they all seem to work the same for me. i like to throw them out and work them in fast. i work it almost like a walk the dog topwater. I'll give it 3 or 4 quick snaps and then pause it for a second and then repeat, sometimes letting it sink to the bottom. Also if your working them over thick weeds and you see pockets let it fall and sink all the way down to the bottom, that is one place were this lure has shined for me. Also was fishing a lake last week and up shallow against the cattails there were mats of weeds next to shore and it was so thick that i would throw it on top and drag it off and let it sink and KABOOM!! they would demolish it on the drop and i got to watch it all, now that is some of the funnest fishing i've ever done. Its impossible to fish them wrong, so dont be afraid to experiment!

I personally like the yum dingers (cotton candy is my favorite color) the best. they seem to stay on the hook best for me. I like throwing them wacky rigged on a 4/0 gamatsu (probably too big of a hook) around weed lines in 6-10 feet.

I let them sink all the way down, from my experience it seems like the fish hit the most often on the first drop. if i dont get a hit on the first drop i will let it sit for a few seconds then give it a lift/twitch and let it sink again.