Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thedeadsea

New Muskie Rod

23 posts in this topic

I'm looking for a moderately priced rod in the 7 1/2'-8' range. How are the Cabelas (Fish Eagle, Tourney Trail, etc), the Fenwick HMX, or the St. Croix Premier? I have some Cabela's Bucks to burn so would prefer to buy something they have in stock.

Thanks,

Steve

Had a couple HMX rods, they were ok. Croix Premires are good rods, had 2 walleye fish eagles and wouldn't buy another. My favorite rods are my Thorne Bros, I have a 9' Predator and a 8' C Series, for just under $200 for the C series it's alot of rod for the money and gets top billing over both my Croix and G Loomis. If your set on buying at Cabelas then the Premire would be my choice, longer the better.

Cabela's carries Shimano Compre Muskie rods. Life time warrenty. Have seen good reviews, and I've been very happy with my 8' XH rod. Very versitile rod IMO - works for Dbl 10's, bull dawgs, med-large cranks, Med-large top waters & jerkbaits.

I think there only around $120. Lots of nice rods but you'll likely pay at least $50 more. Another rod to consider is Okuma eVX rods, also lifetime warrenty & same price range), but don't think Cabela's carries them.

Take a ride to Thorne Brothers. Explain to them where you are at and where you want to go in terms of musky fishing. There is a wealth of information within their walls. I have always felt confident that my best interest was served. There is no question that quality costs money, however, they are excellent at keeping your concerns at the top of the list when suggesting different options.

WS

I have a couple Compres and really like them. They have the best warrenty of any rod out there which is a big plus to me.

I use the 8' Compre. . .Love it! I can throw everything I have in my box with it too.

I just purchased a GM rod and it is really nice for the price. 8ft long 1-4oz rating threw a c4 on it and that thing can cast farther than any other rob I have used. I am running it with 100lb ultracast. I also use a scheels muskie rod 6'9" heavy 2-6oz rating it has a cardiff strapped to it with 80PP and it works really well with jerk-baits and cowgirls... good luck on your new rod

Shimano Compre muskie rods.

Get a 8 foot heavy.. fast tip. Great for cowgirls, and even bulldawgs if it is a must. Tip is fast enough for smaller bucks too. Good all around rod. I have a 6' 8"... 7'.. and an 8'

I have caught fish on all of them. They are my rod of choice.

$130 online Basspro.

I would also tell you that I have the cabellas eagle in a heavy 7'6".. the butt isnt thick enough and it is rated at 1..2-1/2 oz

Great for small bucks and some top water. To light to handle the big baits.

+1 for the Compre's. As urban cowboy already commented...8' fast tip is a great all around rod. I use mine quite often and the lifetime warranty is tough to beat.

Get the XH, it'll throw girls/dawgs up to pounders. Blades aren't ideal with it, but for fishing faster it's nice because the rod doesn't double over, just can't cast as far.

For a step up in price to just under $200 when on sale, the Shimano Calcutta Inshore series in an 8 foot heavy xfast tip is an AWESOME rod for everything up to mag dawgs. Thorne sells them with an extended handle and it's the best rod for the money I own. The only one i'm thinking to replace it is a Predator series.

Jredig has a good point in regards to the XH. I have a XH for my bulldawgs and heavy plastics.

The Heavy 8' fast tip compre is great for blades. showgirl and cowgirl.

Heavy plastics, not so much. You can pull it off but it will wear on you.

Musky Innovations makes a nice rod for around $100...depending when/where you buy them. I got 2 8'ers at Musky Expo and love em.

I just got a 8'6" thorne bros c-series and i LOVE it... if you are set on buying from cabelas (I'm sure ou could find something else to buy there) I would go with a compre, nice rod for the $

I'm only seeing the 7'6" in H or XH on their HSOforum. Did they sell out of the 8'?

Steve

They will extend the handle to make the rod 8'.

Who would do that? Cabelas or Shimano? Is anything achieved by this other than a little more leverage for casting?

Thanks,

Steve

blew a hookup on a fish today because my rod was too short/too little backbone to really drive a hookset when i was pulling 10's. GO BIG.

Originally Posted By: FishGUY

Who would do that? Cabelas or Shimano? Is anything achieved by this other than a little more leverage for casting?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve, I think FishGuy thought you were referring to the Thorne Bros C-Series rod, not the Shimano Compre. You can have a place like Thorn Bros extend your Compre handle, but it is already 14" and not recommend extending it on 7'6" rod.

I would recommend you call Cabela's store in Rogers/Owattona directly to see if they have the 8' Compre in stock. If they don't, you could use your Cabela's bucks on some new lures, then run over to Thorne Bros and buy your rod there - they sell the Compre's, as well as other great rod options for your price range. They have very informative staff that can set you up with the right rod for your needs.

FYI ... FM Muskie Sale forum has some Muskie Compre's for sale cheap, included a couple 7'6" models. You can tell more people must be going longer rods for ski's, cause most I see out there are shorter rods (less than 8').

Also, if you go to Thorne Bros - tell them that you are a first time customer and they might give you a discount. My first time they gave me 10% off my total sale.

Originally Posted By: FishGUY

Thanks,

Steve

I was talking about the C-Series, but good rodmakers can extend most rods.