• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Field Testing

Have been watching this forum for a long time... some very good stuff is discussed here, and some talented builders of rods and lures and tackle certainly make it interesting. Think we are missing something. Is all of this "stuff" we build doing the trick on the water? How is it working, what needs improvement, where can we all do better, etc.

So here goes mine: Lake of the Woods - April Sturgeon Hunt.... 3 fish over 50" largest 59". The muskie rods worked splendidly! Lake of the Woods - Canadian side from Oak Island - June Muskie Hunt... 2 in the boat 41" and a plump 46". We'll not talk about the 52" that escaped. Operator error, a tail dance head shake and she was gone. Last week 40 miles NE of Sioux Lookout - Fly-In Walleye Expedition, nothing big, 23" the largest, but lots of fish in the slot. Wet for 5 days in the rain. All the rods preformed as expected no problems with equipment, just the weather. Leech Lake this weekend for 'eyes and a few muskie or Mille Lacks for a long line trolling experiment. Next week, is the Rod Guild Get-Together at the St. Croix Factory in Park Falls, should be a great learning experience.

I'll be "field testing" that new fly rod I just finished this past week all next week up in canada on lots of smallies. grin

I didnt have a true 6 wt and in the rivers up where we go sometimes your throwing heavily weighted buggers, leeches, and streamers. My 5 wt's wont throw the heavy stuff as far as I wanted. I have two 7/8 wts but they are a tad too big. Plus at nearly 10 ft it will help with mending and reaching out...

I also re-did a handle on one of my favorite jiggin rods. Im not sure if im 100% sold on it yet but i'll know soon...

Plus when I get back I have a new project i'll be starting on. My first bamboo rod. I had a gentleman build me the blank and i'll be finishing and wrapping it. Quite excited about this rod, I am. grin

Field testing report on my first homemade inline spinners: I caught some small bass on them on a lake that recieves VERY heavy recreational pressure. The fishing isn't great, but that's where the grandparents are, so I took a couple evenings to fish.

I just finished my first wooden lure, bathtub testing deems that it needs a little bit of tuning, but then hopefully I can find somewhere to field test it. My problem is that I don't have a boat, and this really isn't the best shore fishing lure. We'll see when I can next get out on the water.

This isn't custom, but I've never used anything quite like it before. I just purchased my first St. Croix rod, Avid 6'3 for jigging and it's the finest rod I have ever used. I can't even pick up my cheaper rods after using this.

I've never used a custom rod before, but if it's anything like the quality of a St. Croix it'd defitely be something I'd look into for a future purchase.

Ive been fortunate, it came from listening to others with many years and legacy success; listen to the guys that know and go off on your own with the fundamentals and principals and make things that your mind likes to play with; you'll enjoy those successes so much more.