• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Alumacraft 175 Dominator or 175 Navigator?

herm0026

I am getting very close to buying a new boat.. I have been looking very hard at all kinds different of boats. I have got it down to two boats, the Alumacraft 175 dominator and the 175 navigator. I started off looking at the classic 165 and the dominator 165 but got talked because of the smaller size of the boat. I am looking at keeping this boat for a long time and want to make sure i get the one the fits me best. Both of the boats i am looking at come with a 115 Yamaha.

If anyone has any words of advise or any knowledge they would be willing to share with me I would greatly appreciate it.

Good choice with either and specs are about the same, but consider the following:

Dominator has a large flat gunnel area where you can mount cleats, downriggers, anchor setups, etc. Makes it easier to step from the dock to the flat gunnel. This also gives more of a finished look. It also has an awesome front rod storage locker in the floor.

Navigator is an awesome boat too. It's 245lbs lighter and costs less.

If it were me and I had the money for either I would go with the Dominator. I think I would really like the rod storage area and flat gunnels. Besides, I always seem to want the best when it comes to boats and fishing smile

However, you really can't go wrong with either one and they will last you a long time. Take your time and sit in each for a while. Think about how you will use it. How are the electronics mounted in each? Check all of the storage areas. Maybe you will like one over the other.

HP rating is 150 max. At 115hp you are about 77% of max, which should be fine and a lot less than a 150hp would be. Yamaha is a great motor, so no issues there. Hard to find a "bad" motor nowdays. Have you looked at Suzuki?

BTW: I own the Classic 165CS. Great boat, but limited to somewhat smaller waters and not nearly as roomy. Boats all shrink when they hit the water.

Good luck and post a picture of your new addition once you get it smile

- WIWF

I was in the same position last year. I ended up buying the Navigator Sport 175 with a 140 hp Suzuki. I absolutely love it. The only thing that I would like to have from the Dominator is the jump seats at the rear of the boat. Two extra seats that take up no room would be nice. Both are great boats. I would definately suggest that you max out the horsepower. The boat is rather heavy and you will notice it most when towing it. It really doesn't matter on the brand of motor. All of them are really good with great warrenties. If you have any other specific questions just post your email and I would be happy to assist.

I looked at both of these also last year. Can't go wrong with either. I have the jump seats in my Lund and absolutely love them. I would recommend the boat with the Jump seats. It's like adding an extra foot or two of room, since there are no rear pedestal seats.

I just bought a 165 Navigator but was trying to decide between that and the Dominator. I agree that the jumpseats were an attractive option, but since I regularly boat 4 people around I figured that I would want four seats anyway.

The flat gunnels are a preference. Wish-I-Were-Fishn made a great point about ease of stepping into the boat. Personally I wanted the smaller gunnels because I can kneel or sit on the storage locker and be right next to the water. I'm only 5'8 so reaching over a bigger gunnel wasn't appealing to me. I have noticed that attaching rod holders is a bit more tricky though.

The arrangement of rod lockers and storage seem to be the other big differences. Sit in both boats and think about where you are going to put things and how you would prefer to access fishing poles, etc.

Good luck!

well i just finalized the paper work on my loan today. Last night I signed the papers at the la cannes. I decided on the 175 dominator because of all of its storage options, the jump seats were a nice added plus as well. the boat is the sport model with dual console (double bubble not the full windshield). Have to wait until monday to pick her up.... ITS GOING TO BE A LONG 3 DAYS!!!!!!eek Also rigged her with a lowrance HDS 5 and wave wackers (wave wackers get put on later next week) ..

Thanks to all for your input! This is my first time buying a boat and it was really nice to receive advise from folks who have been around the block a few times!

I will post picks as soon as i get her home.

Once Again thanks for all of your advise!