• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Quality shingles?

Scott K

I will be re-shingling my roof soon, and want to know if these brand name of shingles were any good. Which of these would you use, which wouldn't you use, or are they all about the same?

CastleBrook with a 35 year warranty

Owens Corning with a 30 year warranty

Timberline with a 30 year warranty.

I wouldnt use any of those, but of the 3 the GAF Timberlines would be the best. I personally would use the 30 year Certainteed Landmarks.

I dont like the Castlebrook cause they come from Menards. The few times that I used the OC the laminate like to pull apart before you even put them on the roof. And I think the Timberline laminates like to come apart too, but not as easy as the OC. I have done about fifty roofs the last two years, and I would say that the Certainteeds were the toughest. I know some people are not fond of CT, but the landmarks are a pretty good product.

Just make sure that it isnt too hot when you roof, and that you dont overdrive the nails when you are putting them on. Get them nice and flush with the shingle. And make sure you dont nail too high.

Good luck

As a definite GAF insider I can tell you that I would go with GAF timberlines. They are a hardy shingle we stand by our warranty. Certainteed is involved with a HUGE class action lawsuit due to shingle curl, and I personally think Owens Corning just doesnt look as nice. I built a house years ago and put Elk shingles on because I thought they were a much better looking shingle. GAF bought out Elk and we had gone over to their product. I since reroofed the house due to hail damage using GAF ultras. Over all its a very good product. I am a line mechanic at gaf

I had hail damage and have to replace my roof. When the insurance adjuster was out at my place he recommended avoiding all Certainteed Shingles. he said there has been a lot of issues with them and to stay far away.

I am upgrading from a Certainteed 3 Tab to a Timberline Architectural shingle

durations from O.C would be a great Choice, Castle brook is a cheap laminate with a low wind rating..80 mph as oc is 110.

Ever think about steel???? Impact resistant, many colors, and still easy to install.

lasts a lifetime too....

Put steel on and watch you market value take a dive. Most people don't want to live by that. I've been in construction for over 20 years and have never heard a favorable comment after someone has used steel. I would recommend Certainteed first, the GAF.

The best option of those 3 is timberline by far. Id stay away from OC and Castlebrook. With that said, I put the landmarks on my own house and have sold thousands of squares to people with little to no problem. A plus is they are made in Shakopee and hire Minnesotan workers.

Although, like bigred said Elk has a great product and stellar warranty. now that GAF and Elk have combined I think they will have a dominating product in the market for years to come.

Just make sure you or whoever installs them nails them properly. hit the nail strip! not above or below!

A lot of the Certainteed lawsuit I believe was on a certain line of their product, the New Horizon, (correct me if i'm wrong. The Landmark line has been a solid product for them.

My son had his roof replaced last year. The contractor use "Tamco" shingles. Last week the building inspector failed the roof due to "poor quality" shingles. I don't know how this is going to end up but a claim will be submitted.

Luckey,

If you don't mind me asking, where does your son live?

We use Tamco quite a bit at work and have NEVER had a problem.

With that being said I have never heard of a roof failing because of "poor quality" shingles. I'm not saying it didn't happen, I just have never heard of it.

GAF Timberline

I would stay away from Certainteed as well. Our firm had specified Certainteeds about 10 years ago, were installed on many commercial projects, and are all too familiar with the lawsuit.

Ever since then, its been Timberlines.

AS a contractor and roofing installer. I would recomend the Certanteed Lamdmark series, as long as they are installed correctly along with proper ventilation, I ve never had a problem with them. I have roofed 10-20 houses a year for the past ten years. I think landmarks are an excellent product.

plus they are made here in Minnesota.