Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bottomdweller

lead core

11 posts in this topic

Hi, thinking about doing some trolling using lead core this fall. My question is, is lead core used for just deep water or can I also use this for shallow water trolling and also using bottom bouncers? Thought I might try for some eyes this fall and take a lil time out from bowhunting. Also what size line should I get for eyes and do you use like a two foot leader with a snap swivel?

Thanks

Leadcore has a couple applications. The most common is to get lures/baits deeper. But leadcore also follows the boats track very closely so guys also use it for contour trolling were there are tight turns ans/or sharp drop offs. I won't use bottom bouncers in combination with leadcore but thats me. As far as a leader length I use 50-70 feet of leader material. Some guys run shorter leader especially for contour trolling but I haven't heard of leaders much shorter than 10 feet. Most of the guys fishing leadcore just for eyes use 18 lb leadcore.

I'm fairly new to leadcore use so more season guys will likely have more good info.

just wondering why it would be necessary to run a 50-70ft leader

i would think 8-10 ft would be enough to keep the fish from seeing it an it would be enough to give the lure its proper action.

I only run about 5 feet of 20 pound powerpro leader on my leadlines. I had too may tangles with longer leaders.

mw

I troll leadcore in clear lakes and have then set up so I can also use then salmon fishing in the great lakes so that why I run longer leaders. Lots of different opinions on how long it needs to be. Also with a longer leader I don't fret about needing to cut off 5 feet due to nicks. I guess I've never had issues with tangles with the longer leader as it reels up smoothly through the guides and onto the reel.

You can use the leadcore for shallow water fishing. I know some guys will use three to five colors to get the bait down to a certain depth rather then putting a full spool of core on a reel. When used in this manner you can still put snap weights on the mono backing to reach even deeper. Never ran bouncers with leadcore.

Tunrevir~

I am new to this also,

So you spool up a reel with "Lead Core" then make leaders out of mono or flouro??

Is this the correct assumption?

Do you just tie the two lines together or is there a swivel of something like that used?

Thanks

SD

You'll also have some backing that is either mono or braid. The knot I use you break off 2-3" of the lead from the leadcore line. Feed the mono leader material through the leadcore through the now hollow leadcore line until it bumps up against the lead still in the leadcore line. Tie 2-3 half hitch s and tighten upwhere the leadcore sheath and mono are. The knot is good to go.

I run 30' Power Pro leaders tied together with a knot on the leadcore, tie the PP above the knot, cinch tight and no problems. I even run it shallow like 10' or less at night instead of switching rods to mono for shallow spring trolling and do well.

I also use longer leaders on my leadcore, especially when fishing in clear water. Usually at least 20 but not more than 50 feet of leader between my lead and my bait.

Leadcore is speed dependent, meaning the slower you go the deeper it gets, and the faster you go the shallower it runs. With the proper combination of speed and how much lead you have out you can fish it relatively shallow or deep.

I tie my lead directly to my backing and my leaders, no swivel.

I also tie direct to backing and leader, a swivel could break out the eye liner in the tip. My leaders are normally 15-20 ft long. Lead core can also work for trolling over weed beds with spinner rigs. I have used almost 90yds to get floating minnows down, But since gone to snap weights for trolling crankbaits and some spinner rigs. Lead core works very well for slow trolling.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

•   When someone gets to the personal aspect, whether it's me or someone else, I will challenge them and if they can justify what they have said about an individual --OK -- otherwise show me why, and if it is just their opinion say so. I'll accept that if it's their opinion.   There is nothing generic about an insult, an insult is an insult. What do you consider as a douchebag?
    • Not sure why people get so worked up about being called dummies, poopyheads and sons of bees.  Whatever, its generic insults and this is the internet.   But yeah, there's a line somewhere in the there that separates the real douchebags* from the rest of us.  You know it when you see it.   *Sorry if any douchebags felt personally attacked by being called douchebags.
    • I was addressing it to JigSawJimmy Peatmoss  response : That's an opinion, not anything more , so I let it go.
    • Created/Saved all these jobs, cut gajillions off AF1 costs, etc.  Ok, so how did the that work?  Usually these sort of dealings aren't totally one sided.  At least the carrier deal had a bunch of Pence fingerprints on tax incentives Trump took credit for.   I have doubts that King Cheeto just shows up and blows a bunch of smoke up assses and corporate executives are just like, "Yay!"   Is Trump's Twitter bully pulpit that powerful?  He randomly yells at Boeing and they just fold over for him?  I thought we realized Trump on Twitter is only for the LOLs.
    • Well hope the Trump supporters are having fun, seems those days are numbered. Turns out you can't just yell fake news at real news and make it go away. The Feds are closing in, and at best it seems Trump thinks throwing Manafort to the wolves might get them off his tail. Anywho, lots of news today.   The FBI has information that indicates associates of President Donald Trump communicated with suspected Russian operatives to possibly coordinate the release of information damaging to Hillary Clinton's campaign   McCain: Congress doesn't have 'credibility' to handle Russia probes    Because this happened - House Intelligence chair discloses classified intel in clumsy effort to validate Trump   Also this earlier in the day -  Former campaign manager Paul Manafort secretly worked for a Russian billionaire with a plan to "greatly benefit the Putin Government."     And in completely unrelated news - remember those Carrier jobs you bragged about Trump saving? Yeah, those jobs are gone. Carrier pocketed the tax breaks then screwed the workers anyway. Great negotiation there. http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/job-cuts-endure-at-indiana-factories-despite-trump-pressure-416511193.html
    •   Who are you addressing this to? I did not make the statement only re-posted it. I also don't find PEATMOSS's comment very humorous as well.   PEATMOSS said: This is still, by far, the funniest thing I have ever read on these threads in a decade.
    •   Anything you post on here from now on has no merit or credibility as far as I'm  concerned.  I wasn't even going to respond to this, but feel what you posted needed to be. If you wish to call my mother a dam, you will, the same as you called another persons mother that. I don't give a rats butt what your political views are, however when you start getting into personal attacks you had better look in a mirror. You don't probably don't know anyone on here personally, yet you attack someone on a personal bases, call there mother a dam and ridicule them because they had a lower portion of a leg amputated due to something they can control, but had no control whether they have the illness and sometime that illness makes you pay a price. BD2 has that illness he can control to a certain extent where he can lead a normal life, however there will be complications and from what I know of him he will accept that. I don't know DB2 personally, I've never met him, I've debated against some thing on this where he and I have had different views, I respect his opinions even though I disagree on many, BUT I SURE AS H--- DON"T ATTACK HIS ANCESTORY OR  ANY TYPE OF DISABILLITY
    • Yea yea all ya auld pharts would  pass out the minute she popped the first button!!
    • Would he get a free hoodie for his efforts?
    • Great to see this in Minnesota. Trout has been on my bucket list and will happen this year. The mix of largies and smalls really works for this show and plays into the guys heads. I was pulling for Hack. He's become one of my favorites. I think these guys are gaining a new appreciation for MN.  Except maybe the Lane Bros.
  • Our Sponsors