• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minnkota Co-Pilot Problem

WIFisher

I have a Minnkota Co-Pilot and have had it for a few years now. I love the motor but recently have been having problems. Near the battery I have a fuse holder and 30 amp fuse wired into the circuit. In my last 2 outings the motor has killed on high speed. When i go to check the fusebox the whole thing is melted together so i would have to cut it open and get a whole new fusebox and fuse! I did a little research and found a Minnkota 60 amp circuit breaker at The Big C. In the reviews i saw a few guys were having the same problems i was.

I'm thinking this should fix the problem what do you all think?

Thanks for your input.

Ryan

Don't know the size of your motor, but 30amps seems a little small (mine is a 50amp).

I just called Minn Kota service about an unrelated problem (universal sonar). The service guy was very knowledgeable and gave me several ideas to try to solve my issue. I suggest that you give them a call at 800-227-6433 (7am-4:30pm M-F).

How old are your batteries? I had the same problem this summer. Called support and they asked the age of my batteries. Mine were over three years old. They said replace them and if that doesn't work, call back. Haven't had a problem since.

I don't know if that would relate to your problem or not. How big are the wires you are using to go from batteries to the motor?

Thanks for the replys. The battery is only a year or 2 old. I am using the heaviest gauge wire i could find. I just picked up the circuit breaker so I'll give it a try and see if it works this weekend. I believe I have a 55lb thrust. Not positive though. I just know its the highest lb thrust they make that runs off 1 battery..

Ryan

Thanks, my fuse must have been too small i just thought it was weird the whole fuse box was melting. The 60 amp breaker should work since that's what Minnkota recommends for all their motors.

Ryan