• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Portable Fish Houses

BruthaJed

I am in the market for a good "comfortable" fish house like the ones that all fold into a sled and have seats already in them. I have been looking at 2 seaters and 3 seaters but have never owned one before. The purpose of this post is that I am looking for opinions on who makes a good quality unit and is a 3 seater too heavy compared to a two seater. Any opinions would be appreciated.

I can't remember the exact name of my sled, but i have 2 seats in it and blue canvas. I don't think its a clam, but i do like it alot. Depending on the size of guy you are and how much gear you carry along also what you have to haul it around with. Mine is big enough to fit two guys comfortably, and light enough for just me to pop it up in the truck myself. For some reason a Yukon was coming to mind for what it possibly might be. Really easy to flip over and lock in place by yourself. Also for heater i use a Mr. Heater the only problem that comes into play with that is the way front holes tend to get a light layer of ice down on a cold windy day, but the holes next to the sled are always good. Also Rubber matts will save on the cold feet. good luck and have fun. take the time and make sure you get the one that will be the best for your needs

If fishing alone all the time i would go with a 2 seater, but 2 guybs its nice to have the extra room so the 3 seater might bea wise choice.

I guess a little bit more info would help. Are you going to pull this by hand or do you have a wheeler/sled? Are you a bigger guy, would you like to be able to stand up inside of the house? You will find that Otter, Clam,and Frabill,(can't think of all of the others)all make nice houses that are of good quality. Eveyone has their favorites and you will get into the Chevy/Ford argument. I have a Clam Voyegeaur. It is a big 3 person, even though we use it a a two person. Has plenty of room. I pull it with my wheeler. When there is clear ice it pulls just find by hand, but one there is a lot of snow it is much easier to pll with a wheeler.

Of course the bigger you go the heavier they will get. Especially once you fill them with gear.

I love my Otters. I have the Ice Camo houses and they, in my opinion, are the best made out there. All my Otters have taken a lot of beating getting pulled behind wheelers and snowmobiles and I have never had a tub break and the newer pole designs are super strong and easy to operate. The new window material stays plyable and doesnt crack even in extreme cold.

Check out www.otter.com and see if you find a house you think will fit your needs. No matter wich house you get buy the HYfax kit for it. They add many years to the life of your tub.

Sometimes people decide by what fits in their truck, car, etc. It may not be their preference but they get it because the tail gate on their truck will close with a smaller one.

If you are going to walk a lot with heavy snow cover smaller is better.

A buddy of mine has a Fishtrap Voyager 3 man and that thing is really nice. Fits three comfortably, two with lots of room. There is enough room for a sunflower heater and two vexilars running no problem. I've never tried with three, but it would probably work.

It folds up small enough to fit into the bed of his Chevy 1500 no problem with room for augers and heaters and other stuff.

I can stand up fine in it, though I'm no giant at 5'11", a person who is 6 feet would probably be fine. Being able to stand up in a house is huge for me. I just need to stretch every once in a while and not having to go outside is nice.

It was a little on the heavy side and would be a pain to load and unload by yourself.

I fish out of a Fishtrap Yukon and love it! Front and back doors, padded swivel seaats with high backs, and a nice deep sled. That being said I am in the market for something a little better to fish from when I am solo... The Yukon (and voyager) are awesome but alot to haul on foot, or load/unload alone.