Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jigging Joe

Best trailer tire, Carlisle???

11 posts in this topic

Blew a tire on the way home sunday, did some damage to the camper and now I'm wondering if I should replace all 4 of them. I was looking on-line and Carlisle tires get bad reviews and that's what I have on my camper(the tires look very good yet and I always check psi, the tire came completly apart when it went???)

So if I change them all, what kind should I put on, or should I just think it was a one time thing and just keep running them???

I've hauled my Warrior boat around for 6 years on Carlisles and have never had a problem. I've had a couple flats but that wasn't the tires fault. Overall they've served me well and I would probably purchase them again. I do think it's wise to replace all of them at ounce so you have a matched set especially if they were older and had some wear. If they are relatively new I'd probably just replace the bad one.

I have Carlisles on my pop up with no problems, yet. I think they are one of a very few manufacturers that specialize in that kind of tire, my pop up has like 8" tires on it. So options are somewhat limited

To be safe, tires should be replaced about every four-five years regardless of how they look. The more frequent you replace them, the less chance you have of a blow-out.

Even if you store the unit inside, air has a tendency to rot the sidewalls, which weakens the tire.

- WIWF

I just replaced a blowout with a Kumho. My tire guy says to check and replace valve stems. He's seen a lot of bad ones lately.

BTW, I towed a tent camper thousands of miles over 10 years and had no tire problems aside from normal wear. My blowout was only two years old.

No you've got me wondering. I've got a '63 Mallard 18 foot hardside and who knows how old the tires are. They look to be in good shape, no cracks and even wear, and always hold the pressure. The spare is identical to what's on the trailer. Am I on borrowed time?

There is a reason Carlisle tires get the nickname of C-Bomb! I know several people that have had trailers and boats damaged from exactly what happened to you. When they go, they come apart and take things with it. Not saying all Carlisle tires are going to blow. The failure rate of a Carlisle may be no worse than other brands, but they do have a history of destruction when they do fail. Like others have mentioned, 4 years is about all you want for a trailer tire. They may look good on the outside, but they breakdown on the inside due to heat.

Thanks for the advice, I think Im going to replace all of them.

Has anybody heard of a tire called Maxxis trailer tire???

Read some good reviews on them.

I've been looking at some carlisle tires online. The psi ratings are between 65 and 90 pounds. Even on 16 inch tires. Wouldn't that high of psi contribute to making a failure a catastrophic failure?

Hey Woodsman,

The more plys the bigger the psi. I know on my truck I have 10 ply(load rating e) and run 80 psi. I dont think high psi would contribute, it would help. I have been looking all week on what kind of tire to buy and have come to the conclusion there is no easy answer, people definatly dont like Carlisle or Goodyear Marathons for the majority. I have not seen any bad on Maxxis tires, but I think the majority have Carlisle or Goodyear and not too many have Maxxis. My brothers Jayco came with Maxxis tires, which to me I think Jayco is a highend camper.

I'm thinking of going to a load E tire, would that help for decreased tire temp???? Most people say its low psi and over-heating that cause tire failure.

My biggest concern about tire failure is not changing it, thats easy, its all the damage that occurs when they blow.couple of years ago I blew 2 Carlisle tires on my boat trailer which took out a fender and now I blew a Carlisle tire on my camper which also caused damage, so I'm done with Carlisle, time to try something esle!!!! With that said, I'm sure other people have had good luck with them, but I did not and now theres that bad taste in my mouth again.(That same taste as when I had all the trouble with Exide batteries, Intersate all the way!!!!)