• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What Costa Lenses?

dudeness

Thinking about getting some Costa's. I like the copper 580's. I thought these would be a good versatile lense. Keeping in mind that most fishing occurs during low light times. Any other suggestions?

I don't really know what the difference would be between blue mirror and green mirror for instance. I thought down the road another lense color might be nice. What would be a good blue bird sunny day lense?

Thanks.

The 580 lenses are considered to be Costas latest and greatest lens. The Copper should be great for low light and overcast days. The will probably even work plenty well enough on bright days. When you do get another pair grey seems to work the best on those bluebird days.

I would go with your plan get the coppers so you can keep them on longer at sunset. Then go with grey later on.

As far as I know about the lens type and color you describe, I believe the green mirror are a bit darker for brighter conditions, and the blue are just a few tints lighter for more all purpose and in low light conditions. At least that is what I learned when I bought my Ocean Waves glasses. BTW, I would look into ocean waves. I was really impressed with them and got a pair a number of years ago. The costas are good as well.

Dudeness,

I'm on my fourth pair of Costas (not because I've had problems or losses, but because they're useful, trusted, everyday tools).

As a salesman with a lot of windshield time, I'll tell you that copper lenses are perfect for driving in most conditions, and they positively excel in the overcast conditions so prevalent in Mn winters. As for fishing, they excel early and late in the day, but I find them a bit muddy in real bright light.

For bright conditions I find the green mirror lenses work best. My blue mirror lenses are wonderful too. However, as these are intended for use in the ultra intense lighting conditions found in our oceans, they a bit too dark for inland freshwater use.

IMHO, starting with copper lenses, then adding a green mirrored pair, would set you up for many years. Also, should you break or scratch these products, Costa will,typically, send you a new pair for less than half price---once you return the damaged ones.

Chief summed it up pretty good. I'd like to add that I originally purchased a pair with the vermillion 400 and returned them for the copper 580's. The step up between the lenses is rather noticeable and worth the price difference. With the amount of time you spend on the water, they are more than worth it. Good luck.

This is great feed back gents. This is the kind of stuff I was hoping to hear. I have some literature from Costa but it's hard to unscramble some of their verbage on the different lenses. I like the idea of starting with copper and maybe going to the green mirror later. Thanks for the help!

In the 580 lens - the Green Mirror and Silver Mirror are both copper lenses. I ordered the Silver Mirror and didn't like them. They had bad glare that killed my eyes. I sent them to Costa and the customer service rep put them on and told me she didn't like them either. She let me pick a new lens and I went with the green mirror 580 and they work great for me in all conditions. The blue mirror is a gray lens which the rep at Costa told me is great for the ocean, but doesn't let you see as far into the water as the green mirror/copper for freshwater.

I've had vermillion, green mirror and blue mirror Costa's, all in the 400. Love to try the 580's next as everything I hear about them is as stated above. I really liked the vermillion for all around (non-fishing), I didn't notice a lot of difference between the blue and green mirror. My next pair will likely be 580 copper for thier low light attributes.

I have got or have had every lens combo of costa has had in the last 10 years. Unless you are fishing an insanely sunny day or offshore in highly reflective cerulean blue water, there is no need for serious mirrored lenses. I have used them in every condition possible from the ocean to the lake.

For musky / fresh water applications -

The Copper 580's are awesome. For low light though... Get the 400 Sunrise lenses. They will light up your life. It is amazing how much brighter everything is with them. And at low light minimal glare protection is fine, so the 400 will suit you perfect. During bright days though, I do not recommend them for obvious reasons.

If you want to keep that shag mullet 80's look and rock some mirrored specs, the newer silver mirror is sweet. I have been wearing those as of late. The mirroring is minimal and coupled with the copper lens, they are the ticket.

Check 'em out!