Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
carpmanjake

question for deadhead

4 posts in this topic

so a couple weeks ago i was fishing the veterans memorial park in fergus,and i seen a big mouth buffalo. it came at my jig very fast. and turned away after checking it out for a while. so my question is, what is the best way to catch these ottertail buffalo? it was definately an active fish, but did not find my jig to be edible/ i will have my license soon, and when i get it, that will be the first place i hit

I had one hit a 3" white curly tail on a jig before, but that was a rare occurrence and 4 years ago. I haven't picked up a spinning rod in a couple years. I know some of the walleye guys pick up some buffs on shiners.

To be honest, it was the difficulty of catching buffalo that got me switched over to fishing for roughfish on the fly. The only consistent manner (for roughfish) that I've caught buffalo with are small nymphs, typically size 8-12. Caddis, mayfly, midge, and other patterns are effective when fished during the appropriate time of year and hatch/presence.

I had one hit a 3" white curly tail on a jig before, but that was a rare occurrence and 4 years ago. I haven't picked up a spinning rod in a couple years. I know some of the walleye guys pick up some buffs on shiners.

To be honest, it was the difficulty of catching buffalo that got me switched over to fishing for roughfish on the fly. The only consistent manner (for roughfish) that I've caught buffalo with are small nymphs, typically size 8-12. Caddis, mayfly, midge, and other patterns are effective when fished during the appropriate time of year and hatch/presence.

thanks! what would you recommend using now?

I'd try a giant midge pattern; I've seen a few here and there, and they will be more abundant in these parts within the next month. You can fish caddis and mayfly nymphs year round too. I'd throw a scud out there, as I've had decent success with them in the dead of summer. just like carp, you need to be versatile with buffalo and be prepared to switch patterns often until you find one that they are keying in on.