• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2001 Merc 40hp Trim Troubleshooting

B@ssDoctor

I have the above noted motor and appears my trim went out this past weekend. I replaced the relays (both) and the fuse is good. I wiggled the wires once and got it to move a wee bit, but then nothing. Mechanic claims it is the motor, however, did not check with a volt meter or anything. Is the correct way to troublshoot this issue, to use a vom and probe the 2 wire harness while hitting the button? Any other ideas? Those motors are nasty spendy...

I just had a similar problem but on my Yamaha. All electrical checked out but still no movement. Take the motor leads off of the relay and hook up to a 12v battery. If it doens't run, you know it is the motor for sure. On mine, two of the four brushes were stuck open. Took them out and cleaned them up, reinstalled the motor and it is all working just fine. Maybe worth your time to check it out. You may also be able to have the motor rebuilt for much cheaper than a replacement motor or check salvage yards (Tim's Outboard in Hackensack is a good place to start).

I had a similar issue with a 2001 Merc 90 and it turned out I was missing one of the O rings on the pump motor housing, which allowed water and dirt to get into the motor, and coroded the electrical contacts. I cleaned the brushes, replaced the electrical contacts (very expensive), replaced the O ring and it was fine after that. All that because of a 20 cent O ring, ug.

If you search my old posts you can probably find the replies I got about it. Let us know how it turns out.

Anyone else out there who has a Mercury with the trim acting up - I would crack open that housing and make sure you're not getting water in there before it corodes and you have to replace it.

I probalby won't be buying another Mercury motor in the future.